Audio Recording - Audio Recording; 2016-06-08 Norm Williams and Thompson's Pharmacy
From the Collection of Eltham District Historical Society Inc 728 Main Rd Eltham Victoria
- 0:46:09 duration
Digital MP3 File 65 MB
- audio recording, eltham district historical society, ivan thompson, norm williams, society meeting, thompson's pharmacy
- June Meeting (Newsletter No. 228, Jun. 2016)
Shortly after the First World War Ivan Thompson, a pharmacist in Fairfield, expanded into the Diamond Valley by opening pharmacies at Eltham, Greensborough and Watsonia. A small item in the Hurstbridge Advertiser on 20th July 1928 states that ‘Mr. Ivan J Thompson, well known chemist, has opened a branch at Eltham where all prescriptions will be dispensed.’
In the early 1950’s Norm Williams considered he was fortunate to be able to serve an apprenticeship with Ivan Thompson at his Eltham pharmacy. He was with the business when it moved in 1952 to the present site at 964 Main Road, Eltham, which was the first brick shop built in the Eltham Town Centre.
In 1958 Ivan Thompson decided to sell his pharmacies. Harry Brown and Norm Williams were able to purchase the Eltham business and they continued in partnership until Mr. Brown’s death in 1971. By that time they had expanded with pharmacies in Fairfield and Lower Plenty.
At our June meeting Norm Williams will speak about how Thompsons Pharmacy developed, while continuing to supply a range of services for generations of Eltham families. His stories, supported by a collection of personal photographs, will entertain as well as give an insight into how the Eltham shopping centre has changed over the years.
- 8 Jun 2016
- Eltham District Historical Society (Maker)
- 3 Feb 2020 at 7:32PM