Medals - R.A.Hose
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- .1 A bronze medal with a laurel wreath and printing on one side and the figure of Winged Victory on the other side. There is also an inscription around the edges.
.2 A silver-coloured medal with the image of King George V of Britain on one side and the image of a figure on horseback. The medal has a metal bar at the top to which is attached a multi-coloured ribbon.
.3 A silver medal with a laurel wreath, a crown, initials and printing on one side and an image of King George V of Britain on the other side
.4 A black and white photograph of a soldier (R.A.Hose) with handwriting on the front and handwriting and printing on the back. This photograph is a post card.
- .1 Diameter: 3.5 cm. .2 Diameter: 3.5 cm Height with ribbon 13.2 cm. .3 Diameter: 3.5 cm. Height with ribbon 12.8 cm. .4 W 8.6 cm. H 12.7 cm.
- robert andrew hose, world war one, history of warrnambool
- These medals were awarded to Robert Andrew Hose, born in Warrnambool in 1892 (parents George and Janet Hose). Prior to enlistment in World War One in 1914 Sergeant Robert Hose served with the permanent armed forces at Maribyrnong, Melbourne. He saw war service in Egypt, Gallipoli and the Western Front. In May 1917 he was awarded the Military Medal for his courage and resourcefulness and being a fine example to his men in an incident near Beaumetz les Cambrai in France. He died of his wounds a few days later. He is buried in France.
- These World War One medals are of high significance, particularly the Military Medal awarded for bravery to Robert Andrew Hose, a soldier born in Warrnambool. The Military Medal is a treasured item in our collection because of its rarity and association with a local World War One hero.
- .1The Great War For Civilisation 1914-1919
.2 1914-1918 114 SJT R.A.Hose 1st F.A. Bde. A.I.F.
.3 For Bravery In The Field 114 SJT. R.A. Hose 1st F.A.Bde Aust. P.A.
.4 Sgt. R.A. Hose MM
- 12 Feb 2020 at 2:16PM