Booklet - The Blessing of Belief
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is a hard cover book of 124 pages. The cover is blue with black lettering on the spine. The dust cover has black and blue printing and a photograph on the front of a coastal scene. The spine of the dust cover is torn The pages contain printed material in an introduction and eleven chapters.
- W 12.5 cm. H 19 cm. D 1.8 cm.
- rev. gordon powell, history of warrnambool, st. stephen’s church
- This book was written by the Rev. Gordon Powell in 1956. Gordon Powell (1911-2005), the son of George Powell, a Kepler Street dentist, was born in Warrnambool. A minister, writer and broadcaster, the Rev. Gordon Powell was the best-known Presbyterian minister in Australia in the 20th century. He was the minister at the Independent Church, Melbourne for many years and served in New Guinea as a chaplain during World War Two. When minister at St. Stephen’s Church in Sydney he attracted the largest congregation of any Protestant church in Australia at the time at both his Sunday and Wednesday services. He gave radio talks for many years and was responsible for introducing the world-wide group, Alcoholics Anonymous to Australia.
- Hodder and Stoughton (Maker)
- This book is retained as it was written by an influential 20th century Australian Presbyterian Minister, the Rev. Gordon Powell. He was born in Warrnambool.
- Godfrey 10 Somers Rd. Warrnambool
- 12 Feb 2020 at 2:55PM