black and white photographs
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- Four black / white photographs. 3160.1 is of three rows of young girls in uniforms - possibly sports uniforms. In the back row standing second left is an older woman - a teacher. 3160.2 is of two rows of girls in uniforms. Each girl in the front row is holding a hockey stick. A small square has been cut out - the head of the girl in the middle of front row. 3160.3 and 3160.4 show two rows of girls - the front row sitting and the back standing. There is a trophy on the ground middle front. all photographs have been taken outside.
- H-83mm W-136mm
- sport-orbost recreation-hockey orbost-elementary-high
- 3160.1 - front row right - Bet Gilbert P. Richardson.
3160.4 - back - Alice Hammill; Marion Nixon; Bel Kerr; ?; Annie Malcolm; E Gall
front - Marion Gilbert; Pen Gilbert; Elsie Pardew; Jean Frewin 1923
These photographs are of students of Orbost Elementary High School. . During 1910-11 the first approaches were made to the Department for the establishment of a HES in Orbost and this became a reality in 1912. Orbost HES supplied post-primary education in the district until a high school was built in 1948.
- Nielson, Leslie (Maker)
- Orbost High School / Orbost Secondary College has played a significant part in the education of senior students in the Orbost district . It is the sole senior educational institution. These photographs are representative of its history.They are also associated with sport in Orbost in the first half of the 20th century.
- 3160.3 - on back - Pen 6 Mary 4 Marion Gilberts 4 14 @ 5/- day
- 13 Feb 2020 at 12:15PM