black and white photographs
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- Three black / white photographs of railway bridges. 3162.1 has a steam train on the bridge. 3162.3 shows three men on the right working at clearing vegetation. 3162.3 has been taken from a height.
- 3162.1: H-68mm W-123mm; 3162.2; H-125mm W-175mm; 3162.3: H-125mm W-175mm
- orbost-bairnsdale-railway east-gippsland-railway bridges-railway
- These photographs are probably of bridges on the East Gippsland railway line. 3162.2 is possibly Hospital Creek and 3162.3 possibly Burn Road Newmerella.
The Orbost-Bairnsdale railway initially played a crucial role in developing agricultural industries in Gippsland as well as tourism. It opened in 1916 and operated until 1987, principally carrying timber and farming produce. In the early days of the railway's operation dedicated passenger trains ran but these ceased by the 1930s. The line was completely closed to freightage in 1987.The track infrastructure was dismantled in 1994 and has been redeveloped as the East Gippsland Rail Trail.
- 20th century
- These photographs are associated with the history of the Orbost-Bairnsdale railway line and therefore reflects the role that the rail line played in the social and economic history of Orbost.
- 13 Feb 2020 at 12:34PM