black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white photograph of a wooden bridge over a creek in forest setting.
- H-104mm W-148mm
- young's-creek-orbost bridge-young's-creek
- This photograph was taken at what is now the Young’s Creek picnic area which is located on the site of an old sawmill, once owned and operated by L.E. & H.
Williams, dating back to the early 1920’s. The mill was eventually sold, dismantled, and the machinery transferred to a sawmill at Cabbage Tree Creek. there are still some items of old sawmill debris. The old steam engine at the edge of the car park is the remains of the mill’s former power plant. This portable steam engine was constructed in Leiston, Suffolk, in England.
- June 1897
- This is a pictorial record of a popular recreational area in the Orbost district in the late 19th century.
- on back - handwritten "the Young's Creek Bridge June 1897"
- 24 Feb 2020 at 1:37PM