Stories Organisations Projects About Login

black and white photograph

From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria

Description
A black / white photograph of a wooden bridge over a creek in forest setting.
Size
H-104mm W-148mm
Object Registration
3168
Keywords
young's-creek-orbost bridge-young's-creek
Historical information
This photograph was taken at what is now the Young’s Creek picnic area which is located on the site of an old sawmill, once owned and operated by L.E. & H.
Williams, dating back to the early 1920’s. The mill was eventually sold, dismantled, and the machinery transferred to a sawmill at Cabbage Tree Creek. there are still some items of old sawmill debris. The old steam engine at the edge of the car park is the remains of the mill’s former power plant. This portable steam engine was constructed in Leiston, Suffolk, in England.
When Made
June 1897
Significance
This is a pictorial record of a popular recreational area in the Orbost district in the late 19th century.
Inscriptions & Markings
on back - handwritten "the Young's Creek Bridge June 1897"
Last updated
24 Feb 2020 at 1:37PM