black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white photograph / postcard of a bridge over a river. It has what looks like a bo girder in the central section. On the left is the river bank.
- H-85mm W-135mm
- orbost snowy-river-bridge transport-bridge
- This is a photograph of the second Snowy River Bridge at Orbost. The section in the central span could have been built after flood damage. This bridge over the Snowy River was opened on July 4 1922. It was constructed in 1922 alongside the previous suspension bridge. Its building was a combined effort of the Victorian Railways and the Country Roads Board at a cost of 35,000 pounds. It was replaced in 1976 by the present bridge after several major floods.
- first half 20th century
- This bridge was replaced in 1976 after several major floods.
- on front bottom left - "SNOWY RIVER BRIDGE"
- 11 Mar 2020 at 6:10PM