Stories Organisations Projects About Login

black and white photograph

From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria

Description
A black / white photograph / postcard of a tall railway bridge, with concrete pylons in the centre,There is a creek below.
Size
H-85mm W-135mm
Object Registration
3177
Keywords
boggy-creek-railway-bridge nowa-nowa railway-bridge east-gippsland-railway orbost-bairnsdale-railway
Historical information
This appears to be the Boggy Creek bridge and to have been taken at Nowa Nowa.
The Boggy Creek Bridge was built in 1916 as part of the Bairnsdale to Orbost extension to the main Gippsland Railway, and is situated in the middle of the township of Nowa Nowa, crossing a steep-sided and well-timbered creek-valley. This section of the line closed in 1987.
When Made
first half 20th century
Significance
This bridge plays a major part in the identity and history of the town of Nowa Nowa, since Boggy Creek’s steep sided valley divides the township into two components.
It is part of the East Gippsland Railway line.
Inscriptions & Markings
on front - bottom left - " NOWA NOWA BRIDGE"
Last updated
5 Mar 2020 at 3:20PM