Stories Organisations Projects About Login

black / white photograph

From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria

Description
A black / white photograph / postcard of a creek with a building on the rightside. a windmillis to the left. The banks of the creek are well-vegetated.
Size
H-82mm W-135mm
Object Registration
3178
Keywords
boggy-creek-nowa-nowa
Historical information
The building in this photograph of Boggy Creek is probably the first Nowa Nowa Hotel built by Moses Faithfull, in 1890.
Moses Faithful came to Australia from England with his parents on the Royal Consort in 1844. After living at Bulla, Pakenham and Wurruk he and his wife moved to Hospital Creek in about 1885 where he took up the first selection of land at Upper Hospital Creek. As well as farming he built the first hotel at Nowa Nowa in 1890. He had charge of the hotel until 1895 when he sold to Mary Stirling. Moses died on 8th July 1901, aged 66, at the residence of his son-in-law, David Price, at Newmerella, and buried in the Orbost cemetery.
When Made
late 19th - early 29th century
Significance
This hotel was built in 1890 and doubled as a coaching stop on the inland route. Settlement grew up around the hotel. It was sold 1895 to Mary Stirling who husband own the land the hotel stood on. The hotel burned down on 29 July 1955. This is a pictorial record of Nowa Nowa in the late 19th century.
Inscriptions & Markings
on front - bottom left -"BOGGY CREEK NOWA NOWA"
Last updated
5 Mar 2020 at 3:31PM