directory - Victoria Post Office Commercial Directory
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A heavy, thick, hard-covered book with a red cover and gold print. On the spine in gold print is the title, "Victoria Post Office Commercial Directory 1895 - 6" and some advertisements. There is an index at the front. Inside people are named with their addresses under: Alphabetical directory (colony-wide); Trade and professional directory
Towns and districts directories;Other sections including names but usually not addresses:Commerce management, banking, insurance companies, exporters of English goods to Victoria Government, MPs, heads of departments, clergy, University of Melbourne academic staff, teachers in private schools medical practitioners, hospitals, dentists, pharmacists courts, judicial officers, barristers, solicitors, Justices of the Peace .
- H-270mm W-170mm D-100mm
- directory-post-office directory-commercial orbost-c19th-businesses
- This is a directory of towns giving distances fro Melbourne, populations. There is an entry on Orbost listing the contemporary businesses.
- H. Wise & Co. (Maker)
- Directories are an effective way of researching businesses and trades in small trades. Many small businesses needed to ensure the public was aware of their activity and one of the better ways to do this (in an age before media dominated) was via a directory. Advertisements in the directories often provide extra valuable information .
This item is a useful research tool for Orbost in the late 19th century.
- on page edges - "TOWNS, ALPHABETICAL TRADES, ENGLISH SECTION"
- 6 Mar 2020 at 3:21PM