From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A large leather bound ledger with a dark blue patterned cover and suede leatherette binding and corners. There are pages with alphabetical indexing. Some pages are ruled for accounts. All entries are hand-written in blue or black ink.There is blotting paper inside.
- H-446mm W-300mm D-48mm
- cameron-marlo dairy-farm-cameron agriculture-records station-ledger-cameron
- This ledger was kept by the management of a rural property in Marlo, East Gippsland. Entries were made by Hugh Cameron and Alaster Cameron. Their property was reputed to be the largest private dairy producer in Australia at one stage. (ref. Mary Gilbert)
Some station owners or managers kept records like diaries, wage and ration books, and registers of births, deaths and marriages. This one records federal transactions, costs of produce and payments for share farming at Brodribb and Marl, as well as a list of donations made.
Hugh Cameron (1850-1921) was on the Orbost Shire council from 1892-1915. His son Alaster was also an Orbost Shire councillor representing the East riding from 1932 to 1954. Hugh died at Orbost on 3rd May 1921, aged 71, and was buried on 5th May at the Orbost cemetery. (more info. in O.D.H.S. newsletter -Tambo Shire)
- 1. 8. 1915 - 30 .6. 1923
- Cameron family (Maker)
- This is an example of record keeping on rural properties in the first half 20th century. It is associated with the Cameron family who were early settlers in the Orbost district.
- on spine on red leatherette in gold print - " "STATION LEDGER" and on black in gold print - "CLOVERDALE"
- 9 Mar 2020 at 1:23PM