Stories Organisations Projects About Login


From the Collection of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection Building 129 Carlisle Drive North Bandiana Vic

Black and white photograph of 11 soldiers of 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles posed beside M113 Light Reconnaissance Vehicle ( LRV ) at annual training camp, Puckapunyal 1971.
90 mm X 90 mm
Object Registration
Historical information
The M113 LRV was introduced to 8/13 VMR in 1971 when the Regiment transitioned from tank to recon role. The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.
Inscriptions & Markings
" LtoR, Back: Lt Clay, Tpr Marki, Lt Curtis, L/Cpl Grundy, WO2 Madjeric, L/Cpl Roberts. Front: Cpl Smith, Cpl Young, Tpr Johnson, Tpr Reguski. "
Last updated
17 Mar 2020 at 10:12AM