Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Photograph

From the Collection of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection Building 129 Carlisle Drive North Bandiana Vic

Description
Black and white photograph of M113 Light Reconnaissance Vehicle { LRV} crossing a ditch obstacle during training a 8/13 VMR Annual Camp, Puckapunyal, 1971.
Size
90 mm X 90 mm
Object Registration
3122.122
Historical information
The M113 LRV was introduced to 8/13 VMR in 1971 when the regiment transitioned from tank to recon role.The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.
Last updated
18 Mar 2020 at 5:29PM