Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Photograph

From the Collection of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection Building 129 Carlisle Drive North Bandiana Vic

Description
Reproduction photograph of four National Servicemen at Puckapunyal training as Centurion drivers prior to being posted to 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles,1956. They are ;Ttroopers Noel Strauss, Kerry McLure, colin hore and Jim Black.
Size
150 mm X 100 mm
Object Registration
3122.164
Historical information
Between 1951 and 1959 National Servicemen from Albury and NE Victoria trained as Centurion crewmen for 8/13 VMR The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.
Last updated
17 Mar 2020 at 2:28PM