Donated by the Alfred Hospital medical Supply Unit
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the place now called Victoria, and all First Peoples living and working on this land. We celebrate the history and contemporary creativity of the world’s oldest living culture and pay respect to Elders — past, present and future.
Please be aware that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Some material may contain terms that reflect authors’ views, or those of the period in which the item was written or recorded but may not be considered appropriate today. These views are not necessarily the views of Victorian Collections.
Users of this site should be aware that in many areas of Australia, reproduction of the names and photographs of deceased people is restricted during a period of mourning. The length of this time varies and is determined by the community.
Reuse of any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander material on this site may require cultural clearances. Users are advised to contact the source organisation to discuss appropriate reuse.
Can you reuse this media without permission? No (with exceptions, see below)
All rights reserved
This media item is licensed under "All rights reserved". You cannot share (i.e. copy, distribute, transmit) or rework (i.e. alter, transform, build upon) this item, or use it for commercial purposes without the permission of the copyright owner. However, an exception can be made if your intended use meets the "fair dealing" criteria. Uses that meet this criteria include research or study; criticism or review; parody or satire; reporting news; enabling a person with a disability to access material; or professional advice by a lawyer, patent attorney, or trademark attorney.
Please acknowledge the item’s source, creator and title (where known)
© Copyright of Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
Have a question? Contact Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Museum and Archives
Donated by the Alfred Hospital medical Supply Unit
A gift given to Gordon Wheeler, first secretary of RACS. Includes six coffee cups and saucers, milk jug/lid, sugar pot/lid and coffee pot. 18 pieces in total
Coffee set belonging to Gordon Wheeler .Includes six coffee cups and saucers, milk jug/lid, sugar pot/lid and coffee pot. 18 pieces in total
orange and green floral and leaf decorations
secretary, racs, retirement
Inscribed ms: 'On board his yacht Ada prior to sailing it from England to Australia in 1927. Aged 73'
Benjamin Rank was considered by many to be the father of plastic surgery in Australia. He was born on 14 January 1911 in Heidelberg, Victoria, where his father, Wreghitt Rank, owned a grain store and mill. His mother was Bessie née Smith. He was educated at Scotch College, Melbourne, and Ormond College, University of Melbourne, graduating with many honours and prizes. He did a two-year residency in the Royal Melbourne Hospital before going to London to specialise in surgery. There he did junior posts at St James' Hospital, Balham, but soon became fascinated by the new specialty of plastic surgery and was appointed assistant plastic surgeon at Hill End (Bart's EMS unit). Joining the Royal Australasian Army Medical Corps in 1940, he commanded their plastic surgical unit in Egypt. In 1942, he returned to Australia to set up a plastic and maxillofacial unit at Heidelberg Military Hospital. Among the patients treated there was one Flight Lieutenant John Gorton, who went on to become Prime Minister of Australia. In 1946 he was the first honorary plastic surgeon at the Royal Melbourne Hospital. He spent much time overseas and was instrumental in setting up the specialty of plastic surgery in India, for which he set up 'Interplast' - a charity supported by the Rotary Clubs to offer training and expertise to Asian and Pacific nations. He was the Sims Commonwealth Travelling Professor of the College in 1958, Moynihan lecturer in 1972, President of the British Association of Plastic Surgeons in 1965 and President of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons from 1966 to 1968. He made important contributions to the study of Marjolin's ulcer, radiation carcinoma, and the transition from benign to malignant melanoma. He also made a major contribution to hand surgery, and his textbook Surgery of repair as applied to hand injuries (Livingstone, 1953) ran to four editions. He wrote extensively, including an autobiography, and was a talented painter. He was a tireless campaigner for no-fault motor accident insurance and was President of the St John Ambulance Association. He married Barbara Lyle Facy in 1938. They had one son Andrew, and three daughters, Helen, Julie and Mary (one of whom became a nurse). He died on 26 January 2002. Reference; https:livesonline.rcseng.ac.uk
surgeon, sir benjamin rank, heidelberg military hospital, plastic surgery, royal melbourne hospital
Mervyn Smith CBE was RACS President 1983-85
Antique rosewood brass covered box with brass inserted handles, tooled leather insert top
BRASS PLAQUE ON LID: "PRESENTED TO THE ROYAL AUSTRALASIAN COLLEGE OF SURGEONS BY MERVYN SMITH, CHAIRMAN, COURT OF EXAMINERS 1975-1983
1983, racs, president, mervyn smith
ww1, surgical set
From Neurological Society of Australia. Wooden case with key. Contents (12 parts) include trephines, various sizes; perforator; key; ebony trephine handle; Hey skull saw; elevator; steel forceps; brush; lenticular; five pointed rugine. 18th or early 19th century.TREPHINE & SKULL SAW IN CASE OF SURGICAL INSTRUMENTS: EIGHTEENTH OR EARLY NINETEENTH CENTURY. This set of surgical instruments contains, in a wooden case covered with shagreen: two trephines and a perforator , with a key to remove the trephine centring pins a detachable ebony handle a Hey skull saw with the name BLACKWELL an elevator a pair of steel forceps a bone or ivory brush to clean the trephines a lenticular a 5-pointed rugine. The trephines are conical, with slight tapering to prevent over- penetration; they are approximately 17 and 20 mm in diameter. Each has a sharp centring point, which 5 can be removed. Hand trephines are operated with one hand, being rotated like a gimlet, by alternating pronation and supination of the forearm, which also exe1ts downward pressure. The skull saw was used where trephining was difficult, as in some depressed fractures; it was popularised by William Hey (1736-1819) of Leeds, though described by earlier writers. Hey, a Yorkshireman, studied in St George's Hospital, London, but worked with great distinction in the Leeds General Infirmary. The lenticular, a curious instrument seen in many eighteenth century illustrations, was used to smooth the margins of bone defects. The rugine could be used to scrape granulations. The design of the trephines and of most of the other instruments strongly suggests an English origin, probably in the eighteenth century. A very similar trephine is figured by the London surgeon Percivall Pott2 in 1779. Bennion l [ists three instrument makers named Blackwell, none earlier than 1817. Most of the instruments have been plated, presumably with nickel, at a date that must be much later. The nickel plating shows little sign of wear.
Long term loan from Neurological Society of Australasia Museum of Neurosurgical Instruments,South Australia. Catalogue with Historical Commentaries Second Edition January 2006 Copy located at RACS Museum
Trumble's Skull Plough or craniotome devised by Hugh Trumble (1864-1962 ) CRANIOTOME. This craniotome was designed by Hugh Trumble (1894-1962) of the Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, one of the eight founders of the Neurosurgical Society of Australasia. It was a modification of an earlier instrument, similar in principle but less versatile, designed by Sir Henry Souttar(l875 - 1964), a very inventive surgeon who worked in the London Hospital. Souttar also used a motor-powered circular saw when necessary. He cut very large circular bone flaps, exposing the occipital lobes and posterior fossa in a few minutes. Trumble reported the use of this craniotome as "an expeditious method of cutting bone flaps" and in the designer's hands this claim was certainly justified. To use the crauiotome, it was necessary to hold the skull rigidly, and this was done by embedding the head in a plaster mould. Three holes were drilled in the skull to fix the pin of the craniotome, and the flap was then cut in a series of three arcs, after which the flap was elevated with levers until its base fractured. The 'Trumbolian" instrumentation was used in the Alfred Hospital by a number of Trumble's pupils. The craniotome is made of steel, not plated and apparently not stainless. It is believed that Trumble made his craniotomes himself, in a backyard workshop.
Long term loan from Neurological Society of Australasia Museum of Neurosurgical Instruments , South Australia Catalogue with Historical Commentaries Second Edition January 2006 Copy located at RACS Museum
STUART MORSON'S MECHANICAL INJECTOR FOR ANGIOGRAPHY. Stuart Morson(1913 - 1980) of Sydney had this injector constructed in or before 1952. It is said that it was not used much. The injector embodies two 10 ml and two 20 ml Record syringes coupled to a single delivery system. Each is operated by a piston. The pistons are driven from cylinders drilled in a metal block within the casing of the injector; the motive power must have been hydraulic or pneumatic pressure delivered through a manifold with taps allowing each syringe to be worked in isolation. The casing also contains two linked micro switches operated from a distance; it is unclear what was the role of these switches, and it is possible that a component of the unit is lost. JB Curtisl stated that a mechanical injector was devised in 1949 for serial angiography by his collaborator Schuster, but was not felt to be safe enough for use. For many years, neurosurgeons and neuroradiologists preferred to inject by hand.
This small bronze statute depicts Neville Howse rescuing a soldier from the battlefield during the Boer War. In 1900 while accompanying a group of infantry at Vredefort, Howse noticed a British trumpeter fall. As the soldier lay injured under heavy fire, the surgeon galloped to his rescue. His horse was horse shot dead from under him but undeterred, he continued on foot until he reached the man. The soldier had been shot through the bladder so Howse dressed his wounds and carried him to safety. For this brave action, Howse was awarded the Victoria Cross, the first medical person to achieve this honour. The son of a doctor who served in the Crimean war, Neville Howse (1863-1930) was born in Somerset, England. He migrated to Australia and set up medical practice in Newcastle and later, in Taree, NSW. Upon deciding to become a surgeon, he returned to the UK to undertake Fellowship of the Royal College before travelling back to NSW in 1899. In the same year Great Britain went to war with the two Boer Republics of South Africa and Howse volunteered for service. ARTIST Donated to the College in 2000 by Queensland Fellow, Neville Davis, the commissioned work is by Brisbane physiotherapist, Peter Dornan
Bronze statue 45cm in height, on a granite base. The statue depicts Neville Howse bent over carrying a wounded soldier
The mallet was given to the College by the staff of St Mark’s Hospital, London to celebrate the inauguration of the Proctological (later Colonic and Rectal) Section, on 28 May 1963. It was presented by J.C. Stewart to Alan Lendon, then Vice-President and Chairman of the Court of Examiners. Although it is usually described as a gavel, the form of the piece is in fact that of an ancient stonemason’s mallet. The action required to use it is a straight up-and-down motion, unlike that of a normal gavel, which is handled like a hammer. Made of black bean, 22.5cm high and 12cm in diameter, the mallet rests in a wooden stand made of Queensland walnut, with a square base of English oak. The mallet and stand are housed in a travelling case covered in red leather and lined in red velvet and white satin. On the front of the stand are four crests, those of St Mark’s Hospital, the Royal College of Surgeons of England, the Royal Society of Medicine, and the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. St Mark’s was founded in 1835 as a specialist hospital for the treatment of fistula in ano, a common condition in the days of travelling on horseback, and other anorectal disorders. Over the years the hospital developed into a centre for gastroenterology, colonic and rectal surgery, and many Australians went to further their training there. Some noted Fellows of the College, including Robert Officer, James Guest, Reg Magee, Brian Collopy and Adrian Polglase, and three Presidents, Mervyn Smith, Sir Edward Hughes and Russell Stitz, are alumni of St Mark’s.
This mallet is a reminder of the establishment of a significant surgical section within the College, and is a fitting gift from an institution with which so many eminent Australian surgeons formed close ties.
GAVEL ON STAND WITH PAINTED COATS-OF-ARMS IN RED LEATHER PRESENTATION BOX
PLAQUE ON GAVEL: "PRESENTED BY THE STAFF OF ST. MARK'S HOSPITAL TO COMMEMORATE THE FOUNDING OF THE PATHOLOGICAL SECTION OF THE RACS 28TH MAY 1963"
The Loving Cup was presented to the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons at the inaugural session of the General Scientific Meeting in Melbourne, on 15 May 1977, to mark the 50th anniversary of the foundation of the College. It was presented by Sir Rodney Smith PRCS and Lady Smith, and was a gift from the Royal College of Surgeons of England, the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, and the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. The coat-of arms of the Colleges are engraved around the outside. The Cup was made by Roy Flewin, a master craftsman of London. It is sterling silver, hallmarked for the year of the Queen’s Silver Jubilee (1977), and stands 26cm high. It is fitted with two handles and a lid’ and has a gilt interior. The engraving was carried out by Stanley Reece. Whether between friends or lovers, drinking from a Loving Cup is an act of ultimate trust, and is always performed with due ceremony: “A” takes the Cup, filled with wine, and turns to “B”. “A” bows to “B”, and “B” bows/curtsies to “A”. “B” removes the lid of the Cup. “A” drinks from the Cup, and wipes the place he drank from with a cloth tied to one of the handles. “B” replaces the lid, and takes the Cup. If only two people are involved, then they simply reverse rôles. If there are more than two, then the ceremony continues in a similar fashion. The Cup is a token of the friendship and cordiality that exists among the Royal Colleges. In presenting it to E.S.R. (Bill) Hughes, then President of the RACS, Sir Rodney described it as ‘a symbol of our common heritage, and the privileges and responsibilities we share’
The Loving Cup was presented to the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons at the inaugural session of the General Scientific Meeting in Melbourne, on 15 May 1977, to mark the 50th anniversary of the foundation of the College
STERLING SILVER 2-HANDLED LOVING CUP WITH LIFT TOP, FINE BUD FILIAL, GILDED INTERIOR AND SCROLLED HANDLES, ON RIBBED PLATFORM BASE, WITH CREST, ETC. (SEE TOORAC AUCTION LIST FOR ALL DETAILS).
HALLMARKS AND COATS OF ARMS. UNDER BASE: "ENGRAVED BY STANLEY REECE) PRESENTATION CARD: "LOVING CUP PRESENTED AT THE INAUGURAL CEREMONY GENERAL SCIENTIFIC MEETING, RACS, 15 MAY 1977 BY
loving cup, 50th anniversary of the foundation of the college, sir rodney smith, 1977, roy flewin
Victorian Collections acknowledges the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first inhabitants of the nation and the traditional custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.