Digital Image - Cocks Pioneer Barge
From the Collection of El Dorado Museum Association Inc. 136 Main Street El Dorado Victoria
- Black and white photograph of working mining barge. Behind the open cut mine site are properties with buildings, and hills with trees on them.
- mining, gold, tin, barge, sluicing
- Cocks Pioneer Electric Gold and Tin Mine Company was formed in 1899. The company's first power station, located at the eastern end of the valley began operating with its 340 Kilowatt steam-powered generator. By 1909, from 2,500,000 cubic yards worked, reported recovery was 17,284 ounces of gold and 224 tons of tin ore.
By 1909, Cocks Pioneer Electric Gold and Tin Sluice Co.'s power plant had become inadequate and uneconomical. The barge was floated downstream about a mile, but lost time caused the operations to cease. Following testing, a new mine was established by diverting Reid's Creek at a cost of £2,5000. Settling dams were built, one of which held 1,935,900 cubic feet. Sold earth banks, built against a wall of stringy bark saplings constructed and laced with vertical props, were built.
In 1914, another power station was constructed at the western end of the township, near the junction of Clear and Reid's Creeks.
From 6,800,00 cubic years of material processed, the returns were 64, 397 ounces of gold and 855 ton of tin. Cocks Pioneer mine then moved the barge downs stream and continued sluicing.
In 1929 Cocks Pioneer Electric Gold and Tin Mining Company ceased operations due to a drop in values. (Buchan 2001)
- 16 Oct 2020 at 6:35PM