The Ballarat College of Advanced Education was formed by the merging of the State College of Victoria at Ballarat (SCVB) and the Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education (BIAE).
The parent body of BIAE was the Ballarat School of Mines, founded in 1870 to train personnel for mining activities. The first awards at diploma level were made in 1896 in the branches of English, Metallurgy and Geology. Over the years the range of courses broadened to include Art, Physics, Business Studies, Humanities and Librarianship. The tertiary division of the School of Mines was relocated to Mount Helen in 1970.
The SCVB was established in 1925 by the Education Department as the Ballarat Teachers' College. It was one of two provincial teachers' colleges to be established. The first courses were concerned with primary teaching and manual arts but later the subject areas of Physical Education, Environmental Sciences, Music, Art and Craft became major strengths.
The merger took place in 1976 and by 1980 all staff were located at the Mount Helen Campus.
In 1988 Student accomdation included:
* Mount Helen - 290 individual furnished study/bedrooms arranged in units of ten to fourten rooms. $64.05 including 4 evening meals
* Gillies Street - 56 individaul study/bedrooms in two blocks each containing kitchen/dining room areas, a common room, as well as bathroom areas. Does not include meals. $37.80 per week.
* Beaufort House - Managed by the Education Department, with BCAE playing a coordinating role in the placement of students. 75 single and shared accomodation with full board (14 meals per week) $73.80 per week
* Nurses' Home - Ballarat Base Hospital authorities made approximately 100 individual study/bedrooms availabel to female students. (36.40 per week)
White soft covered book with grey, blue, orange and green detail. It is the Ballarat College of Advanced Education Prospectus for 1988. It inclues admisson and application details, student services and facilities, open day, and undergraduate course information.
- ballarat college of advanced education,
- international students,
- student accomodation,
- computer centre,
- childcare centre,
- campus shop,
- bean inn,
- applied science,
- social sciences,
- physical education,
- primary teaching,
- graduate diploma,
- sanyo micro-computers,
- apple iie computers,
- hewlett-packard 3000 model 70,
- hewlett-packard 9000/550 computer,
- cyber 180-835 at rmit,
- student union,
- teacher resource centre