Stories Organisations Projects About Login

black and white photographs

From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria

Description
Four black / white photographs of the demolition of a road bridge across a river. In them can be seen trucks, excavators and workmen. In 3246.1 there is a triangular road sign - "LOW CLEARANCE 3.9m"
Size
H-116mm W-155mm
Object Registration
3246
Keywords
bridge-demolition orbost-snwoy-river-bridge
Historical information
These photographs are of the demolition of the road bridge across the Snowy River at Orbost. This bridge over the Snowy River was opened on July 4 1922. It was constructed in 1922 alongside the previous suspension bridge. Its building was a combined effort of the Victorian Railways and the Country Roads Board at a cost of 35,000 pounds. It was replaced in 1976 by the present bridge after several major floods.
When Made
1976 - 1977
Made By
Snowy River Mail (newspaper publisher)
Significance
This bridge was replaced in 1976 after several major floods. These photographs are pictorial records of its demolition.
Last updated
25 May 2020 at 11:57AM