Stories Organisations Projects About Login

black and white photographs

From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria

Description
Ten black / white photographs of a road bridge demolition. In the photographs are cranes, one on a barge, and workmen
Size
H-120mm W-166mm
Object Registration
3247
Historical information
This is a series of photographs of the demolition of the 1922 bridge across the Snowy River at Orbost. This bridge over the Snowy River was opened on July 4 1922. It was constructed in 1922 alongside the previous suspension bridge. Its building was a combined effort of the Victorian Railways and the Country Roads Board at a cost of 35,000 pounds. It was replaced in 1976 by the present bridge after several major floods.
When Made
1977
Significance
This bridge was replaced in 1976 after several major floods. These photographs record the demolition of that bridge.
Inscriptions & Markings
on back - Orbost Snowy River Bridge demolition 1977
Last updated
25 May 2020 at 12:10PM