Stories Organisations Projects About Login

black and white photographs

From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria

Description
Two small black / white photographs of a road bridge across a river. 3248.1 is a close-up of wooden pylons.
Size
H-85mm W-108mm
Object Registration
3248
Keywords
bridge-orbost snowy-river-bridge
Historical information
These photographs are of the 1922 road bridge across the Snowy River at Orbost. This bridge over the Snowy River was opened on July 4 1922. It was constructed in 1922 alongside the previous suspension bridge. Its building was a combined effort of the Victorian Railways and the Country Roads Board at a cost of 35,000 pounds. It was replaced in 1976 by the present bridge after several major floods.
When Made
C1970
Significance
This bridge was replaced in 1976 after several major floods. These photographs are pictorial records of the 1922 brige.
Inscriptions & Markings
on label on back - "Snowy River Bridge at Orbost 1922 Bridge"
Last updated
25 May 2020 at 12:18PM