Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Photograph

From the Collection of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection Building 129 Carlisle Drive North Bandiana Vic

Description
Colour photograph of 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles soldiers standing on top of M113 Light Reconnaissance Vehicle { LRV ) during annual exercise near Balranald NSW, 1985. From left : Corporal Anton Florent, Corporal Peter Hicks, Lance Corporal Terry Mitchell.Centre group unknownAt right seated : Corporal Doug Cameron.
Size
90 mm x 115 mm
Object Registration
3101.103
Historical information
The western plains of southern NSW provided ideal training areas for units practicing reconnaissance skills sso were frequently used.The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment
Last updated
26 May 2020 at 11:07AM