Photograph - Belle Vue, Livingstone Road, Eltham, c.1960
From the Collection of Eltham District Historical Society Inc 728 Main Rd Eltham Victoria
- Digital file only from scan of copy on loan to EDHS
- belle vue, eltham, eric staff, houses, livingstone road, staff family
- Photo taken at time of ownership by Eric Staff.
Originally purchased by pioneer Eltham farmer Henry Stooke, Belle Vue farm comprised about 56 ha (140 acres) extending northerly from the northern boundary of Holloway’s 1851 Little Eltham subdivision. On the present day map the southern boundary was just north of Elsa Court and Grove Street. The western boundary was the Diamond Creek and extended northerly to Main Road where it turns easterly towards Research. It was traversed by the main road to Kangaroo Ground and beyond and from 1912 by the railway to Hurstbridge. From 1895 the farm was owned by William Williams and his wife Mary Ann. In 1914-1915 they built a new house now known as “Belle Vue”. They sold the land in 1920 and residential subdivision began soon after that.
“Belle Vue” remains today on a large residential lot in Livingstone Road. The house and many old trees on the site have been subject to a heritage overlay under the Nillumbik Planning Scheme. Despite that overlay, most of the heritage trees were removed during sub-division and development of the property.
- 1 Jun 2020 at 12:46PM