Article from "Diamond Valley News" with photos relating to the planting of a time capsule by Eltham District Historical Society as part of Victoria's 150th Anniversary celebrations in 1985.
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the place now called Victoria, and all First Peoples living and working on this land. We celebrate the history and contemporary creativity of the world’s oldest living culture and pay respect to Elders — past, present and future.
Please be aware that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Some material may contain terms that reflect authors’ views, or those of the period in which the item was written or recorded but may not be considered appropriate today. These views are not necessarily the views of Victorian Collections.
Users of this site should be aware that in many areas of Australia, reproduction of the names and photographs of deceased people is restricted during a period of mourning. The length of this time varies and is determined by the community.
Reuse of any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander material on this site may require cultural clearances. Users are advised to contact the source organisation to discuss appropriate reuse.
Can you reuse this media without permission? No (with exceptions, see below)
All rights reserved
This media item is licensed under "All rights reserved". You cannot share (i.e. copy, distribute, transmit) or rework (i.e. alter, transform, build upon) this item, or use it for commercial purposes without the permission of the copyright owner. However, an exception can be made if your intended use meets the "fair dealing" criteria. Uses that meet this criteria include research or study; criticism or review; parody or satire; reporting news; enabling a person with a disability to access material; or professional advice by a lawyer, patent attorney, or trademark attorney.
Please acknowledge the item’s source, creator and title (where known)
Have a question? Contact Eltham District Historical Society Inc
Article from "Diamond Valley News" with photos relating to the planting of a time capsule by Eltham District Historical Society as part of Victoria's 150th Anniversary celebrations in 1985.
The Eltham District Historical Society's heritage excursion held Saturday 10th April 2021 was around the historically significant Eltham Cemetery. This is always a popular tour and again we visited various locations, while discussing some of the notable people who are part of our local history. We were also be able to see recent improvements undertaken by the Eltham Cemetery Trust.
eltham cemetery, eltham district historical society, gravestones, heritage excursion
Philip Shillinglaw and his wife Sarah came to Eltham in 1882. Their property "Wattle Brae" originally encompassed present-day Eltham Central Park and part of Eltham Library, extending north to include Andrew Park and the site of the railway station. An early photo shows that much of it was planted for crops. They also had cows; in 1913 Philip wrote to the local paper complaining about an earlier report that one of them had been killed on the railway line. "I give an emphatic denial to the report. It is not true." Their house Shillinglaw Cottage (built by George Stebbings) still exists, though it was moved with funding from local residents in 1963-64 when faced with demolition to make room for new Council Offices. Philip was actively involved with the Methodist Church as preacher, Church Steward and Sunday School teacher. A Sunday School picnic and a sports carnival were held on his paddock. Eight of his children attended Eltham Primary School. In 1908 he ploughed part of the schoolyard (possibly for use as a garden) free of charge. When Philip died in 1914, his funeral was described as one of the largest ever seen in Eltham. He and Sarah are buried in Eltham Cemetery. In Loving Memory of Sarah Ann Shillinglaw Died 10th Dec. 1891 Also Phillip Loved husband of above Died 18th Aug. 1914 Sweet Best
eltham cemetery, gravestones, phillip shillinglaw, sara ann shillinglaw
View showing graves of Faliner and Pryor families as well as COVID-19 pandemic signage
eltham cemetery, gravestones, covid-19, david pryor, harriet agrita falkiner, jean pryor, pandemic
Nurse Sarah Procter stretched the limits by enlisted on 12 August, 1915 at 45 years of age, the maximum acceptable age. A sister, Mrs J H Treloar (Amelia) in Hamilton was given as next of kin. Her Attestation shows she had 13 years nursing experience, having earned her Certificate at Stawell Hospital, served for one year with the Women's Hospital with the balance with private amenities. The Embarkation Roll lists her residential address simply as Brunswick - there is no Attestation or other material surviving to suggest a more specific address. She embarked from Melbourne on board RMS Morea on 24 August, 1915 and like many the served in Egypt in 1915, her record is a little hazy, but it appears at in January, 1916 after serving with No. 2 AGH, she was promoted to Nursing Sister and returned on HMAT Ulysses transporting wounded back to Australia. Nurse Procter embarked again on 4 April, 1916 to re-join her unit. She arrived in England 30 December after further service at Alexandria and was initially assigned to No. 2 A.A.H, then at Southall, She was transferred just a few weeks later to No. 1 AAH at Barefield where she remained until February, 1918. She proceeded to join No.5 AGH at Rouen, France in May, 1918; she returned to England on 23 November, 1918 after spending a month off duty with general debility and on return was admitted to South Kensington hospital with rheumatism. She was released around a fortnight later and at the same time promoted to the rank of Sister. Perhaps because of her age, she embarked for Australia soon afterwards and was assigned to No. 11 AGH at Caulfield from 9 February, 1919 until her appointment was terminated on 3 May. Born Stawell, Protestant, Sarah Jane Procter died at 75 years of age in a private hospital in St. Kilda, on 6 July, 1945 as the result of an accident and was interred in Eltham Cemetery. Her National Archives are held as Procter, AWM files as Proctor, the former is correct. (Brian Membery for Wikinorthia) Sarah Jane Procter never married and served in WW1. She enlisted at 45, but said she was only 40 on the enlistment papers. Sarah is buried in CE Monumental Section Grave 182. She was born in Stawell in 1869 and died accidentally in Heidelberg 1945. She lays next to an older brother, George Charles Alfred Procter, born 1865. died 1935 in grave CE 181. In Loving Memory of Sarah Jane Proctor Late Sister A.I.F. Died 6th July 1945 aged 76 years Blessed are they that die in the Lord For their works do follow them.
eltham cemetery, gravestones, proctor, george charles alfred procter, sarah jane procter
In Loving Memory of George Charles Alfred Procter Born 11th Aug. 1865 Died 26th Oct. 1934
eltham cemetery, gravestones, george charles alfred procter, procter, sarah jane procter
In Loving Memory of George Charles Alfred Proctor Born 11th Aug. 1865 Died 26th Oct. 1934
eltham cemetery, gravestones, george charles alfred proctor, proctor, sarah jane proctor
This wooden memorial has shadows of the its former inscription which are indecipherable due to weathering of the timber. The grave is located beside a tree in the Church of England section with a marker "CE 62" and immediately adjacent to Procter family grave. Enquiries are being made to determine if indeed it is assocciated.
eltham cemetery, gravestones, george charles alfred procter, procter, sarah jane procter
David George Clark was the first and longest-serving headmaster at Eltham State School No. 209 (Eltham Primary) in Dalton Street, Eltham. David (then aged 26) and his sister Catherine first established their ‘private’ school which began in 1855 and was held in the Wesleyan Chapel in Henry Street, a slab built, shed-like building on land acquired by the Church in January 1855. Parents lobbied the Government to establish an official school, and a School Inspector came out to investigate. He found that the Clarks were of good moral and religious character (David taught Sunday School at St. Margaret's later on) and gave them his endorsement despite some perceived technical shortcomings. In 1856 a small stone building of 40 feet by 16 feet was erected on the school's present site at the corner of Main Road and Dalton Street. Half of the building was the school, the other half was the residence of David and Catherine and their mother, also Catherine. It appears that they were well respected by the local community: David constantly battled with the authorities to have facilities (such as toilets) at the school improved. As enrolment gradually increased, over-crowding became an issue. As well, David married Elizabeth in 1863. Needing to move out of the schoolhouse, in 1866 the Clarks bought a block of land in Metery Road next to the school and built the house "Shoestring" (which still exists albeit with significant modifications). Catherine retired in 1887 followed by David in 1889 after a period of ill health and was succeeded as Head Teacher by John Brown. David died in 1911 and is buried with his wife Elizabeth in Eltham Cemetery. In Loving Memory Of D. G. & E. Clark
eltham cemetery, gravestones, david george clark, elizabeth clark, eltham primary school, eltham wesleyan chapel, state school no. 209
Guido Quarto Fabbro was born 21 August 1891 at Treppo Grande in the far northeast of Italy, the son of Giacomo Fabbro and Anna Geruzzi. Regina Moretti was born 6 March 1893 at Treppo Grande, Italy, the daughter of Giovanni Battista Moretti and Maria Teresa Coletti. Guido and Regina married about 1917 and they had two sons, Giacomo (John c.1918) and Maurie (c.1920). In 1925 Guido Fabbro departed his homeland from Genoa, arriving in Fremantle, Western Australia in June, travelling 3rd class aboard the ship, Caprera. Regina and their two boys followed a year later along with other family members arriving in Fremantle from Genoa 4 July 1926 aboard the Moncalieri. The Fabbro arrived in Eltham in 1933 and purchased a block of land from William West on the western side of Falkiner Street, extending to Ely and Porter Streets which had formerly been part of the West family orchard and dairy farm. As there was no fencing dividing the two properties, West served notice on Guido in December 1934 to bear half of the cost of £6. When payment was not forthcoming, West sued Guido in the Eltham Court in January 1935. Guido failed to appear and was not represented, and costs were ordered in West’s favour. Guido and Regina built a large Italianesque house on their property. The original 1860s cottage was relocated to the back of the block and was rented out (once to Alistair and Margot Knox). Guido also purchased land extending to the Diamond Creek on the eastern side of Falkiner Street and on the eastern side of Bell Street (opposite Eltham High School). The riparian soil was suitable for market gardening: Guido grew mainly tomatoes, but also pumpkins, cauliflowers, cabbages, peas, beans, lettuce, beetroot and zucchinis. Even the land surrounding the house was used. The produce was carted to Melbourne overnight for sale at the market. Guido died in 1970 and is buried in Eltham cemetery. Regina died 1986. She and their son John Patrick (Giacomo) Fabbro who died in 1984 are also buried at Eltham Cemetery. Guido’s son Maurie continued in his father’s footsteps until 2007, principally growing artichokes in later years. He died in 2009. The land on the eastern side of Falkiner Street now forms part of a Council reserve called “Barak Bushland”, the land on the western side having been sold off for residential subdivision. The Bell Street land is now public open space managed by Nillumbik Shire Council and called “Fabbro Fields”. There have been recent proposals to develop the site for sporting purposes or as a dog park or community garden. In Memory of Guido Quarto Fabbro Beloved husband of Regina Died 15-3-1970 aged 79 R.I.P
eltham cemetery, gravestones, guido quarto fabbro, regina fabbro
Honor Birch (nee Young) was married to Edwin Samuel Birch. Their children were Honor Mary Birch, known as Nora, born 1900, Margaret Martin, Bert Birch and Brigidene Brinkotter. In 1903 a Miner’s Right of one acre in area beside the Watsons Creek just outside the then Shire of Eltham was granted to Edwin Samuel Birch. In 1907 Birch applied to purchase this land but was unable to because it was part of the creek reserve. Documents show that the cottage existed at that time. Upon Birch’s death in 1932, his daughter, Honor Mary Birch was granted a permit to occupy the residence. Honor died in 1950 and was buried in Eltham Cemetery. Her memorial states: In Memory Of Our dear mother Honor Birch Who passed away 16th August 1950 Aged 86 years R.I.P.
eltham cemetery, gravestones, honor birch
German-born Anton Brinkkotter, a skilled metal-worker by trade, migrated to Australia in 1880. His initial job was to supervise the installation of ornamental ceilings in the Melbourne Exhibition Building. He moved to Research in about 1900, working first as a plumber and tank-maker. But he is best known for having established a poultry farm (on Main Road between Research Primary School and the Maroondah Aqueduct) in 1906, which steadily grew to become one of the largest in Victoria, supplying customers all over Australia. By 1935 it was a thriving business, with buildings housing 6,000 birds and incubators capable of hatching 8,000 eggs. He died suddenly from a heart attack in 1938 and is buried with his wife Anna in Eltham Cemetery. The business was carried on by his son Anton William Brinkkotter. When electricity came to Research in 1940, the Brinkkotter Poultry Farm was the very first customer, enabling further expansion and modernisation. Two electric incubators were installed with a capacity of 10,000 eggs each. Anton William Brinkkotter became active in public affairs, a trustee of the Eltham Public Hall in Henry Street and was an Eltham Shire Councillor between 1941 and 1961 serving three years as Shire President. The Brinkkotter house in Dudley Street was used to house the Eltham Library prior to a dedicated Library being completed with the southern wing of the Shire offices in 1971. He died in 1970 and is buried with his wife Bridgene in Eltham Cemetery, alongside his parents. In Loving Memory Of Anton William Brinkkotter Passed away 29th Sept. 1970 Aged 72 years Bridgene Josephine Brinkkotter Passed away 5th Feb. 1995 Aged 90 years R.I.P. and In Loving memory Of Anton Brinkkotter Loved husband of Anna & loving father of Anton Died 7th June 1938 aged 71 yrs. Also the above Anna Died 12th Jan. 1954 aged 80 yrs. R.I.P.
eltham cemetery, gravestones, anna brinkkotter, anton brinkkotter, anton william brinkkotter, bridgene josephine brinkkotter
Ernest Richard Reynolds was born June 1877, the son of Richard Reynolds and Sophia Allen. He married Elsie Mary Prior in 1913, the daughter of Thomas John Prior and Keziah Nutt. Ernest and Elsie had three children: Margaret Winifred (1914), Richard John (1915) and Ivy Beatrice (1917). The Reynolds family home was located at what is now 106 Thompson Crescent near the corner of Reynolds Road and Main Road. Reynolds Road was named after the family. Many historic photos of the district which now form part of the Reynolds/Prior and Shire of Eltham Pioneers Photograph collections were taken by Elsie’s brother, Henry Thomas (Tom) Edmond Prior and give a fine overview of many of the landmarks of Research and Eltham over 100 years ago. He was very innovative and made his own camera, using the black cloth hood to exclude the light. In Loving Memory Of Ernest Richard Reynolds Died 11th Oct 1960 Aged 83 yrs Elsie Mary Reynolds Died 2. 6. 89 Aged 98 years and In Loving Memory Of Margaret Winifred Reynolds Died 29. 12. 95 Aged 80 years Ivy Beatrice Reynolds Died 7 October 2011 Aged 94 years In His Loving Care
eltham cemetery, gravestones, elsie mary reynolds, ernest richard reynolds, ivy beatrice reynolds, margaret winifred reynolds
Grace Mitchell, a talented artist in later life and baker, managed a pastry shop business near the corner of Mount Pleasant and Main roads, Eltham in the 1950s. Shortly after her marriage to Arthur Mitchell in 1948, Arthur incurred a head injury from an accident and was unable to work. Grace realised she needed to be home to care for her husband as well as earn an income. She managed the bureaucracy of council permits, and made modifications to her home with savings to get the business off the ground without having to borrow money. Grace and Arthur were avid gardeners and would grow, wash and mince vegetables for pasties while Grace handmade and rolled the pastry. They cooked and minced their own meat for the pies and the fruit for the sweet pies came from their orchard at the rear of the property. She also baked scones and cakes. With weekend visitors travelling to Eltham on the train for days trips, her reputation grew as the spot for afternoon tea. Grace’s daughter Jenni mentions the visit of dancer, Robert Helpmann and U.S. actress Katherine Hepburn in her Grace Mitchell: a short history . Reminiscences in We did open a school in Little Eltham: Eltham Primary School 209, 1856-2006 a history  include a mention of Grace’s famous pastry shop and the Sunday afternoon visit by Helpmann and Hepburn. Grace operated her pastry shop for over 16 years. She supported the Shillinglaw Cottage Preservation Campaign to preserve the cottage through its Flavour of Eltham community cookbook published in 1964 and hosted cooking classes in the new Living and Learning Centre. Grace Mitchell passed away aged 95 years in 2011. In memory of John Arthur Mitchell 1905 – 1975 And Grace Mitchell 1916 – 2011 Loving parents of Jennifer Mitchell
eltham cemetery, gravestones, grace mitchell, john arthur mitchell
Hubert and Beulah Alice (Simpson) Rutter had five children: Hubert Jnr. (Joe) in 1913, David in 1915, June in 1917, Donald in 1922 and Samuel in 1926. Samuel died as an infant aged 17 days. Hubert was a notable figure in Eltham and beyond, with a career as a mining manager in Australia and Malaya. He served in the AIF in the First World War. While the children were growing up at ‘Yarra Braes’, Eltham, their father was an Eltham Shire Councillor in the 1920s, shire president in 1928 and a leading figure in establishing the Shire of Eltham War Memorial League, which was responsible for building the Shire of Eltham War Memorial tower at Kangaroo Ground, near where the Shire Offices were located until the 1930s. The Rutter name was commemorated after the war at Eltham High School with one of the schoolhouses named ‘Rutter House’ and at Geelong Grammar School until the 1960s where a ‘Rutter Badge’ was awarded to junior boys for leadership. The family home, ‘Yarra Braes’ was destroyed in the devasting Black Friday bushfire, 13 January 1939 and Beulah relocated to Toorak, Hubert working in Western Australia. Tragedy struck the family again December 19, 1940 when daughter June was killed after falling from the Heidelberg train on to an adjacent track into the path of a Reservoir train at Victoria Park station. Sons David and Donald both served in the R.A.A.F. during the Second World War and were killed in action, David in Libya in 1941 and Donald in Germany in 1945. The wreck of his plane and his body were not recovered at the time and Hubert never ceased to chase down leads as to his whereabouts. Beulah never gave up hope that Donald was still alive. Hubert had received several reports shortly after the war that his son was still alive but these were ultimately accepted as misidentification. Such was the anguish of the grieving parents, their son’s plane not found to confirm the fact for certain. Hubert wrote to the Air Force in frustration, failing to understand how the plane could disappear when it crashed in a relatively populated area. Unfortunately the answers came too late for Beulah who died in 1946 and was buried in Eltham Cemetery along with her daughter June and baby Samuel. Donald’s plane was eventually located and his body recovered in 1949. He is buried in the Hanover War Cemetery, Germany. David is commemorated on Column 245, Alamein Memorial, Egypt. Both David and Donald are commemorated on Eltham’s Roll of Honour Board, commissioned by the Eltham War Memorial Trust to be hung in the Baby Health Centre, part of the Eltham War Memorial building precinct. Hubert Senior and Hubert Junior both continued to work in the mining industry in Western Australia. Hubert senior died 1957 at Plantagenet Western Australia and Hubert junior in 1979 at Gascoyne, Western Australia. Sacred to the memory of Beulah AliceBeloved wife of Hubert Rutter Died August 21st 1946 also June Beloved daughter of Beulah and Hubert Rutter Died 19th December 1940 aged 23 years Also her baby brother Samuel Died 7th October 1926, aged 17 days
eltham cemetery, gravestones, beulah alice rutter, hubert rutter, june rutter, samuel rutter
Charles Gordon Watts-Phillips was born in 1849 at Forest Hill, Surrey, England, the son of Dramatic Author, Watts Phillips, and Lily Mariner. He departed England for Australia around 1874. His sister Roland was a favourite Australian actress of the early 1900s. Gordon as he was known, whilst residing in Goolwa, South Australia and working as a clerk met and married a widow, Jane Luxon (nee Miller) on the 7th August, 1876 at the Wesleyan Church in Strathalbyn, South Australia. Jane, Gordon’s elder by some 11 years was born in Ireland in 1838, the daughter of Robert Joseph Miller, a carpenter and Jane Miller. She had previously married Captain William Luxon in 1861 at Encounter Bay, South Australia at age 22 and they had four children: William (1864), George Robert (1865), Miriam Louisa (1867) and Harriet Jane (1869), all born at Encounter Bay. Gordon and Jane had two further children together: Caroline Roland Watts-Phillips (1877 Islington S.A.) and Charles Gordon Watts-Phillips (1879 Yatala, S.A.). At some stage, Jane then deserted her husband. Gordon obtained a master's certificate and was a part owner of a small trader. He had also been captain of one of the passenger boats on the Darling River. He was reputedly a popular coastal skipper. By 1891 Gordon was the Captain of the S.S Omeo operating around Sale, Victoria. In August of that year some of the heaviest flooding of the Thomson River ever experienced in twenty years occurred over the 3rd and 4th of August. Gordon, and others, rescued the lives of many families over that period for which he was awarded a Bronze Medal by the Royal Humane Society. By 1892 the S.S. Omeo had passed to another Captain and Gordon subsequently retired from the sea and moved to Melbourne. Whilst residing in Coburg, Victoria, Gordon met Mary Hilda Harvey Huxley who was living in Brunswick. Mary was born in Horsham, the daughter of George Harry Huxley, a miner, and Emma Deane. Having not heard from Jane for some years and believing her dead, Gordon and Mary marry at Carlton on Christmas Eve, 1900. Interestingly, an announcement of the marriage was not placed in The Age newspaper until September 1903, nearly three years after the event by which time Gordon and Mary had a son, Victor Gordon Watts-Phillips, born 8 February 1903 in Carlton. Within months of the placement of this marriage announcement, his former wife, Jane, makes a reappearance but apparently does not interfere and Mary and Gordon continue to live together as husband and wife. Around the same time in late 1903, Gordon’s brother, Basil Watts Phillip wrote from London to the Victoria Police seeking assistance to locate his brother. He had last heard from him in a letter dated Cunninghame, Gippsland, 1891. He indicated that about 1893 Gordon and Jane and their two children were living at Beaconsfield Parade, Albert Park but the whereabouts of all was now unknown. He mentioned Gordon had also been awarded 21 guineas by Judge Boucaut on the 26th February 1884, also a silver medal, for arresting two ruffians who had brutally assaulted a jockey (in South Australia) and that he had been awarded the Royal Humane Society's medal, London, and in 1891, was presented with the Royal Humane Society's certificate of merit (Victoria). Basil also stated his brother had lost the sight of one eye through a stab he received in New York and had a scar on his temple, one on the wrist, two under the shoulder blade, and one on the thigh, and two bullet wounds in the leg. Basil’s quest was published in the Melbourne Herald and assistance was soon forthcoming to the Police. In June 1906 Gordon made his Will, leaving all his estate to his youngest son Victor. Mary was appointed Executrix and it was witnessed by Olive Huxley, married woman, and James Huxley, a pottery maker. James was subsequently killed in France in May 1918. Gordon and Mary have a second son, Basil Douglas born in Carlton in 1911 but he dies as toddler in 1913. At some point Gordon and Mary made their home at Eltham though official electoral roll records record them at Little Flinders Street Melbourne, employed as a caretaker and from 1906 in Brunswick as a decorator then painter. Eltham may have been a ‘holiday’ home but it seems Mary was actively engaged in the community as a newspaper report in the Advertiser in 1922 not long after Gordon’s death indicates Mary was one of the best known and best liked ladies of the Eltham district. She was actively engaged in all matters, tending towards the welfare of the district. At the time of Gordon’s death Mary was president of the Ladies' Public Hall Committee, responsible for the conduct of numerous, and successful entertainments. Gordon’s first and only legal wife, Jane Luxon Watts-Phillips nee Miller, died 6 November 1921 and was buried 8 November 1921 at Springvale Cemetery. Jane had lived 34 years in South Australia and 30 years in Victoria. With Jane now dead, Gordon was now officially a widower and just three weeks later, the retired master mariner of Eltham at age 55 remarried Mary, 42, of 174 Hickford Street, East Brunswick on the 29th November 1921 in the Parish of St Cuthbert, East Brunswick. Gordon died at their home, ‘The Rest’, at 174 Hickford Street, East Brunswick on February 9, 1922 and was buried at Eltham Cemetery on February 11. An interesting link is established with the heavy floods of August 1891 by the erection of a tombstone in the Eltham cemetery. The stone bears the inscription: - “In loving memory of (Captain) Gordon, dearly beloved husband of Mary Watts Phillips. Died 9th February 1922, aged 62 years." Beside the stone is a replica, carved in a marble scroll, of the Royal Humane Society of Australia's Certificate of merit. Part of the wording of this certificate is as follows:- “At a general court of directors holder at the offices of the society at Melbourne on the 6th day of September 1891, it was resolved that the courage and humanity displayed by Gordon Watts Phillips aged 30-years captain of S.S. Omeo, Sale, in rescuing many families from drowning during the heavy floods on Thomson River on 3rd and 4th of August 1891 call for the admiration of the court, and justly entitles him to the certificate of merit of this society, which is hereby awarded." Unbeknownst to Gordon, his second and subsequent legal marriage to Mary initiated a revocation of his Will of 1906, which had solely benefited his son Victor. Consequently, Mary had to apply for Letters of Administration and the only legal beneficiaries would be Mary and his two children by Jane. On June 18, 1940, at age 61, Mary married 70-year-old Arthur Ernest Fenn in Melbourne. Unfortunately for her, Arthur died a year later in July 1941 and was buried in the Cohuna Cemetery near Echuca. Mary lived a further 8 years, passing away suddenly July 4, 1948 in Carlton, and was buried July 7 with her beloved husband Gordon, at Eltham Cemetery. In Loving Memory of (Captain) Gordon Dearly beloved husbandof Mary Watts-Phillips Died 9th Feb. 1922, aged 62 years Also Mary Hilda Loved wife of above Died 4th July 1948 "At rest"
eltham cemetery, gravestones, (captain) gordon watts-phillips, mary hilda harvey watts-phillips (nee huxley)
In Memory of Mary Beloved wife of Joseph & mother of Jack, Will & Jocelyn Died 8th Sept. 1953 and In loving memory of Joseph Died 27th July 1965 Aged 88 years Also their son Jack Vincent died 3rd June 1991 Aged 85 years And his wife Blanche Emily Died 10th September 2002 Aged 97 years
eltham cemetery, gravestones, blanche emily shallard, jack vincent shallard, joseph shallard, mary shallard
Remember Ian John Dingwall Hassall A great artist Born 1899 Died 1970 Also Joan Eleanor Maud Hassall 24.4.1910 - 26.2.2003 Beloved wife of Ian Mother of John and Colin Rest in Peace
eltham cemetery, gravestones, joan eleanor maud hassall, ian john dingwall hassall
On the 29th of May 1954, a local Eltham carpenter by the name of John Swallow, committed a double murder at his home on New Street. This happened on the same day as the federal election of that year. John 48, his wife Mary 47, and stepdaughter Patricia 25, all went to the Eltham Courthouse on Main Road to cast their vote in the election that Saturday. After voting they returned home to their New Street house around midday. Patricia would later recall to ambulance officers, that she was feeling unwell, and so went to lay down when she heard an argument erupt over voting between her mother Mary and stepfather John. A concerned neighbour heard loud thudding noises and yelling coming from John and Mary’s house, he went to investigate. When he arrived at the house he was met by John at the front door. He would later describe John as “having a frantic look upon his face, and manic eyes”. John must have been a sight, bleeding and clutching a cut throat razor by his side. He then announced to the neighbour, “they voted commie!” before turning and going back inside. The distressed neighbour immediately raced home to call the Police. When the police arrived, they found Mary dead on the kitchen floor from catastrophic head injuries; her daughter, Patricia, clinging to life, slumped on her bed. Both women had been attacked by the same weapon, a large hammer, or sledge hammer as reported by the newspapers. John was also discovered in the house, bleeding from self-inflicted wounds from the razor, and had attempted to ingest caustic soda. Patricia was taken to St Vincent’s hospital, but died the following day, the 30th of May. John was also taken to St Vincent’s, where he remained under constant police guard for several months while he recovered from his injuries, at least the physical. He was eventually well enough to be taken to the City Watch House and then Pentridge Prison before his trial in October of the same year. When it came time for John to face the courts, the Judge called a mistrial, the Crown would not prosecute on the grounds of insanity. John was led away from the dock of The Magistrates Court and taken directly to Willsmere, the Kew Mental Asylum. On the 9th of August 1962, John Mervyn Swallow died of heart failure, he was 57. He had been a resident of Kew for four years. John’s body was returned to Eltham Cemetery and buried in the same grave as Mary. There is no mention of his name on the head stone. Patricia’s grave is next to Mary and John. A sad irony has an angel upon her grave, “its head missing”, possibly vandals or just an accident of time and events. What became of the home where all of this took place on New Street shall remain a mystery but within six months of this horrific event, the street had been re-named to Lavender Park Road after the original property near the end of the road, Lavender Park. In Memory Of Mary Josephine Swallow Died 29th May 1954 aged 47 Also Patricia Cathryn Hill Dearly beloved wife of Kel Called home 30th May 1954 Aged 25 years
eltham cemetery, gravestones, mary josephine swallow, patricia catherine hill, john swallow
Richard Gilsenan was a retired schoolteacher living at “Rosebank” in Eltham, now the site of the Living and Learning Centre. In 1906, Eltham Primary School’s headmaster John Brown died, and Richard was brought out of retirement (briefly) to be acting headmaster. His son Harold was a junior teacher there at the time. Thereafter, Richard was Secretary of the Eltham Progress League and more importantly was a magistrate at the Eltham Court of Petty Sessions. Cases commonly brought before him included not sending a child to school (typical fine 5/- or eight hours in the lock-up), not having a child vaccinated (fixed fine 40/-), stealing fruit from an orchard, selling liquor out of hours, and offensive language and behaviour. Other miscellaneous cases were allowing cattle to wander, selling cigarettes to a minor, carelessly burning off rubbish on a hot windy day, dumping a dead horse in the Diamond Creek, and youths throwing ripe fruit at passers-by. Richard died in 1920 and is buried in Eltham Cemetery with his wife Harriet Eliza. In mourning his passing, his peers noted that his decisions had been given in a very fair way. Incidentally, his son Harold (the teacher) died in 1921 after being trampled by a horse while en route from Eltham to Cathkin (his then school). In Loving Memory Of Richard Edward Gilsenan Died 30th July 1920 Aged 73 years Also Harriet Eliza Beloved wife of above Died 7th Sept. 1933 Aged 78 years Sweet Rest And In Loving Memory Of Barbara Ann Beloved wide of G. R. Gilsenan Died 18th Sept. 1917 Aged 38 years Also the above George Richard Gilsenan Died 2nd Nov. 1918 Aged 40 years
eltham cemetery, gravestones, barbara ann gilsenan, george richard gilsenan, harriet eliza gilsenan, richard edward gilsenan
In his early adult life, Richard Kaylock worked as a whaler (visiting California and New Zealand) and later as a drover on a large cattle station in New South Wales. In 1848 he came to Melbourne, working as a slaughterman, then settled in Eltham in 1854, his occupation thereafter being variously recorded as butcher or orchardist. He also had some experiences at Ballarat during the Eureka Rebellion. He died in 1910 at the age of 84. His obituary described him as a "striking personality" who was "brusque to a fault" and "strictly upright, expecting others to be the same". It seems from his will that he was illiterate. He is buried in Eltham Cemetery with his wife Emily. His property was in Wellington Street (now Brougham Street) and apparently extended across the Diamond Creek. The land on the western side of the creek was farmed, the house being on the eastern side. For many years the Brougham Street bridge was generally known as "Kaylock's Bridge". It formed part of the original coach road to Eltham and in 1922 was described as an "old rustic bridge". Its low level and insubstantial construction made it susceptible to flood damage, necessitating frequent closures until repairs could be carried out. The original bridge was demolished in 1923 and replaced by a "new up-to-date" one. When a lack of finances delayed repairs to the Bridge Street bridge in 1931, traffic had to detour via Brougham Street for some time. Local residents feared that the Bridge Street bridge might never reopen. In Loving Memory Of Our Dear Father & Mother R.G. and E.A. Kaylock Also E.J. Kaylock Died 21st Jan. 1927 The Eternal God Is My Pledge
eltham cemetery, gravestones, brougham street bridge, edith jane kaylock, emily ann kaylock (nee davis), kaylocks bridge, richard george kaylock
George Bird was born in England in 1845 and arrived in Australia in 1856 as a child of assisted migrants. Soon afterwards he came out to Eltham to live with his uncle George Stebbings, working for him as bricklayer's assistant in building, amongst others, Shillinglaw Cottage and the Anglican and Methodist Churches in Eltham. He later purchased 72 acres at the eastern end of Pitt Street (bounded by Eucalyptus Road, Mount Pleasant Road and present-day Rockliffe Street) and established the property ‘View Hill’, which was worked as a mixed farm and orchard (including berries). In 1878 he married Janet Kilpatrick, who had emigrated from Scotland. They had ten children, three of whom died in infancy. The wedding in 1904 of their eldest surviving daughter Sarah (‘Sis’) to Edward Pepper appears to have been quite a society event. George was a staunch Methodist and was a Church Steward and a Sunday School Superintendent in about 1890. Janet died in 1915 and George died in 1920 (though his gravestone says 1921). George's will stated that his property was to be divided between all his children in equal shares. This necessitated subdivision of the View Hill property, which took place progressively between 1922 and 1926. One son, George Hugh Bird, operated a drapery store in Main Road (near Bridge Street) in around 1915. Later, in the 1920s, he ran a greengrocer's shop (also selling confectionery) in Main Road opposite Eltham Station. It was the first shop in Eltham to have plate glass windows. At the same time, his brother Reg had a grocery store on the station side of Main Road. George and Janet are buried together in a family plot in Eltham Cemetery. Several descendants are also buried in the cemetery. In Loving Memory Of George Bird Died 5 December 1921 aged 76 years And his beloved wife Janet Bird Died 5 Sept 1915 aged 57 years Also their children William James Bird Died 25 Feb 1888 aged 8 years Mary Jane Bird Died 8 Oct 1891 aged 7 years Pte Edwin John Bird Killed in action in the Great War 11 Aug 1918 aged 30 years Buried in France And on the base stone George Hugh Bird Died 26 Feb. 1965. Aged 79 years Arthur Andrew Bird Died 25 Mar. 1970 Aged 75 years To the left In Loving Memory of Dr. J. R. (Roger) Bird 1927 2001 Son of Arthur & Helen (nee Lyon) Bird Husband of Betty Father of Janet & Alison Grandpa of Evan & Helen Scientist & Gentleman To the right In Loving Memory of Harold Edwin Bird OAM 1922 - 2015 Son of Arthur & Helen (nee Lyon) Bird Husband of Yvonne Father of Estell & Russell In our hearts Forever more
eltham cemetery, gravestones, arthur andrew bird, arthur bird, edwin john bird, george bird, george hugh bird, harold edwin bird, helen bird (nee lyon), j. r. (roger) bird, janet bird (nee kilpatrick), william james bird, yvonne bird
William MacMahon Ball (‘Mac’ Ball) was Professor of Political Science at Melbourne University from 1949 to 1968, having lectured there since 1923. He became known as an ABC commentator on international affairs from the early 1930s to the early 1960s. Between 1940 and 1944 he was Controller of Overseas Broadcasting (which later became Radio Australia). In 1945, he was political consultant to the Australian Delegation at the conference leading to the establishment of the United Nations, and in 1946 was the British Commonwealth Representative on the Allied Council during the post-war occupation of Japan. Mac and his wife Katrine (plus daughter Jenny) came to Eltham in 1942, and in 1945 moved into an old timber cottage at the eastern end of York Street. With help from Alistair Knox, Sonia Skipper, Gordon Ford and John Harcourt, the house was totally renovated to become an early example of Eltham mud-brick. Mac died in 1986 and is buried in Eltham Cemetery with Katrine. Part of their land backing onto Bridge Street was donated to Eltham Shire Council and is now a reserve called MacMahon Ball Paddock. In Loving Memory W. MacMahon Ball A.C. 29. 8. 1901 – 26. 12. 1986 Also Katrine S. Ball 1st Nov. 1899 to 29th Oct. 1991 Loved wife of Mac. Ball Mother of Jenny Grandmother of Bronwyn, David and Michael Much beloved
eltham cemetery, gravestones, katrine s. ball, william mcmahon ball
Treasured husband, precious father Stephen Dattner An esceptional man Born 19th May, 1918, Harrowgate, U.K. Died 11th November, 1986, Melbourne, Remembrance Day
eltham cemetery, gravestones, stephen dattner
Beatrice Irvine was the daughter of former Victorian Premier Sir William Irvine. From age 13 she lived at ‘Killeavey’ off Laughing Waters Road (later accessed from Reynolds Road). In 1923 she married James Morrison and the couple received Killeavey as a wedding gift. The property supported fruit and vegetable growing as well as an impressive botanical garden. But James died in 1936 after a period of ill health, leaving Beatrice to support their six children. To make matters worse, the house was totally destroyed in the Black Friday bushfires in 1939 but was rebuilt. Beatrice became involved in community issues. In particular, she was an active member of the Eltham Women's Auxiliary, which was formed in 1945 to raise funds for the establishment of an Eltham War Memorial. From the outset, it was decided that this would take the form of a Baby Health Centre, a Pre-School and a Children’s Library, set in a garden of remembrance. Thanks to tireless fund-raising, the project came to fruition in the 1950s when, one by one, the three children's welfare buildings opened in Main Road (having previously been in temporary premises): they are collectively known as the Eltham War Memorial site. Beatrice continued to live at Killeavey and became well regarded as a botanist and naturalist. She died in 1989 and is buried in Eltham Cemetery with her husband and one of their sons. The (rebuilt) house has since been demolished. All that remains is a fragment of the garden. In Fond Memory Of James Hans Morrison Croix de Guerre Born St Peters Pass Oatlands Tasmania 6th June 1880 Died Killeavey Eltham 16th November 1936 And his beloved wife Beatrice Wanliss Morrison (nee) Irvine Born St Kilda Victoria 22nd January 1899 Died 5th November 1989 Who rest here James Hans Irvine Morrison Born Melbourne 11th October 1927 Died Gorora New Guinea 1st October 1971
eltham cemetery, gravestones, beatrice wanliss morrison (nee irvine), james hans irvine morrison, james hans morrison, croix de guerre (france)
William Hill Irvine was born 6 July, 1858 in Newry, County Down, Ireland. He arrived in Melbourne December 1879 and taught at Geelong College. He was admitted to the Supreme Court in 1884 having qualified from Melbourne University and practiced in Melbourne. In 1891 he married Agnes Somerville Wanliss and they had one son, William Mitchell (1901 Armadale) and two daughters, Beatrice Wanliss (1899 Armadale) and Agnes Somerville Wanliss (1903 Armadale). Sir William Irvine sat in the Victorian Parliament (as Liberal Member for Lowan) from 1894 to 1906 and was Premier of Victoria from 1902 to 1904. He then switched to Federal politics and sat in the Commonwealth Parliament (as Liberal Member for Flinders) from 1906 to 1918. He was considered a potential Prime Minister, but his abrupt manner and hard-line conservatism (particularly his attitude to a railway strike) made him unacceptable even to many Liberals: he was known in Parliament as "Iceberg Irvine". He lived at Richmond, but in 1908 purchased land in Laughing Waters Road at Eltham, where he built the house ‘Killeavey’, initially as a weekend retreat. The site, a peninsula surrounded on three sides by the Yarra River, is of geological importance and has considerable cultural significance to the Wurundjeri. In 1912 Sir William moved to Killeavey and in 1913 purchased more land, extending his property to Reynolds Road. In 1923 he shifted to Toorak, donating Killeavey to his daughter Beatrice as a wedding gift. Sir William was a founding member of the RACV and was Acting Governor of Victoria from 1931 to 1934. He was also a notable public figure involved in several local events including the: 1919 Unveiling of Eltham War Obelisk 1921 Eltham Primary School Extensions 1921 Eltham Primary School Roll of Honour of prior students 1928 Opening of Eltham Higher Elementary School 1926 Unveiling the Shire of Eltham War Memorial in Memorial Park at Kangaroo Ground He died in 1943 and is buried in Eltham Cemetery with his wife Agnes along with son William Mitchell Irvine and his wife, Dora Haswell Sacred to the memory of William Hill Irvine G.C.M.G. Lieutenant Governor And Chief Justice of Victoria Born 6th July 1858 At Newry, Northern Ireland Died 20th August 1943 Also his wife Agnes Somerville Born at Ballarat 16th Nov 1867 Died at Eltham 16th Aug 1954 W. M. W. Irvine 1901-1975 And Dora Haswell Wife of W. M. W. Irvine 1900-1979
eltham cemetery, gravestones, agnes sommerville irvine (nee wanliss), dora haswell irvine, william hill irvine, william mitchell irvine
William Crozier was born 1823 in County Armagh, Ireland. Mary Jane Vance was born 1829 in Desecrete, County Tyrone, Ireland. They were married in 1848. On New Year's Eve, 1849, together with their baby daughter Sarah, William and Mary embarked from Plymouth aboard the Eliza Caroline, as assisted immigrants, for Port Phillip, arriving 31 March 1850 from where they journeyed out to Eltham on a bullock wagon. The Croziers were Episcopalians and soon after arriving in Eltham the Wesleyans of Little Eltham were holding services in the Crozier's home, among other locations. It was not until January 1856 that the Wesleyan church first acquired land in Henry Street for a chapel, which later became the home of the Eltham Hall. The Crozier home, known as ‘Belmont’ was weatherboard with a rammed earth floor. It was situated on twenty-four acres along the track at its rise, about half-a-mile east of Maria Street (Main Road) bounded by Mt Pleasant Road on the south and Pitt Street northwards. William Crozier used the land for cultivation and grazing. The track the Eltham Wesleyans took, by foot or horse, was along the Mt Pleasant Road, and like most roads of the time, a dusty trail in summer and a hoof and cart rutted quagmire in winter. William and Mary Crozier had seven children: Sarah, (1848 Ireland), John McClelland (1851 Eltham), Eliza (1855 Eltham), William (1857 Eltham), Jane(1859 Yarraville), Charlotte Amelia (1861 Yarraville), and Thomas Vance (1864 Eltham). The Crozier farm prospered and in 1870, William applied for, and was granted a leasehold on an additional sixty-three-acre selection, half-a-mile east of his twenty-four-acre Mt Pleasant Road property. Upon this property he built a two-roomed dwelling of slats and bark and a storeroom of log and bark, ten feet square. In 1880 he applied for a Crown grant of the property. Tragedy struck the family in 1882 when the youngest, Thomas Vance at age 17 accompanied by John Anderson, went into "Hall's Dam" to bathe, neither of them being able to swim. On wading out together, Crozier suddenly slipped into a part about 10ft. deep, and sank, after rising only once. Anderson pluckily tried to save him, nearly losing his own life in the attempt, saving himself when sinking for the last time by seizing hold of a projecting root. The body was not recovered until two hours after, when Mr. Thomas Bell, a farmer in the locality, who was attracted to the spot, on hearing of the occurrence, although unable to swim, plunged in with a rope around his waist, and succeeded with some difficulty in bringing it to the surface. Their eldest son, John also died prematurely at age 42 when he was killed by a falling tree branch whilst engaged in ring-barking trees at Eltham. A still cold wind was blowing and John, and others who were working with him, sheltered themselves at lunch time by sitting on the side of a large tree. When thus seated, the wind detached a limb of the tree which sheltered them, and though they heard the cracking, they had not time to get clear before the limb fell. It struck John on the head, and felled him to the ground, He appeared to be suffering severe pain, and two of his companions conveyed him to the Melbourne Hospital, where during the night he was operated upon for a fracture of the skull. Despite the operation being successful, John ultimately succumbed to his injuries the following afternoon. In good times William was known for his wealth of reminiscences of the early days of the district however his health failed him for several years until his death in March 1909. He was a man of very industrious habits, of a retiring disposition and much esteemed by those who knew him best. Mary died in January 1915 after a long illness. They are buried together along with their sons John and Thomas in the Eltham Cemetery. In Loving Remembrance William Beloved husband of Mary Jane Crozier Who departed this life March 31st 1909, aged 85 years Also Mary Jane Beloved wife of the above Who departed this life January 3rd 1915, aged 86 years Also John McCelland Son of the above Who departed this life May 20th 1894, aged 42 years also Sacred Memory of Thomas Vance Dearly beloved son of William J. Crozier Who departed this life at Eltham, February 3rd 1882 Aged 17 years
eltham cemetery, gravestones, john mccelland crozier, mary jane crozier (nee vance), thomas vance crozier, william j crozier
William Bravery Andrew was a native of Surrey, England. He came out to Australia in 1842 and lived in Brighton, Victoria for 14 years. He revisited England for a year, departing July 1856 and returning to Victoria in July 1857. William moved to Eltham around 1859 where he met and married a widow, Ellen Harper (nee Clarke) in 1867 whose husband John, a carpenter, had died in Melbourne the previous November leaving her with four surviving children: Edith Harper (1856 Eltham), Newell Harper (1858 Eltham), Ida Ellen Harper (1862 Eltham) and Lilian Harper (1862 Eltham). Ellen and John had suffered the loss of two children: John (1860-1864 Eltham) and Percy (1865-1866). William and Ellen had three more children of their own: Mabel Andrew (1868 Eltham), William Bravery Andrew (1870 Eltham) and Ernest James Andrew (1873 Eltham) By 1867 William was the registered newsagent for Eltham with a produce store, W.B Andrew Corn Store, on "Policeman's Hill", at the corner of Maria Street (now Main Road) and Franklin Street. He also took a lively interest in the public affairs of the town and district, and with his wife Ellen, continued to run the store for some fifty years. Ellen pre-deceased William on February 9, 1906, after a long and painful illness of some 11 years. William died October 8, 1907 and is buried with Ellen in Eltham Cemetery. Their youngest son, Ernest James took over running the business and became a prominent member of the community and Eltham Shire Councillor for 30 years. The grave of Ernest James and his wife Ellen rests beside William and Ellen. Sacred to The memory of Ellen Wife of William Bravery Andrew Died 9th Feb. 1906 Aged 77 years Also the above W.B. Andrew Died 8th Oct. 1907 Aged 85.
eltham cemetery, gravestones, ellen andrew, william bravery andrew, ellen harper andrew (nee clarke), ernest james andrew
One of Eltham's earliest settlers was James Orford. Born 1804 in Bedfordshire, the son of George, a carpenter and Lydia Barret, he and wife Sarah Amelia nee Moull (1807) arrived as Assisted Immigrants aboard the ship, ‘Orestes’, November 28, 1839 accompanied by their children, George (14), Mary Ann (11), and James (2). Originally settling in New South Wales, daughter Sarah Amelia was born at Braidwood in 1843 and son, Thomas Henry at Pambula in 1847. James was a carpenter who is known to have built the original gates to Eltham Cemetery. He died in 1869. Around 1890, his son Thomas Henry Orford was living in Pitt Street. Following the death of his wife Helen in 1899, Thomas was appointed by Joseph Panton to look after ‘Panton Park’, a 429-acre bushland property at the fork of Reynolds and Laughing Waters Roads, extending down to the Yarra River. His work entailed ringbarking the manna gums on the property to clear the land for pasture. Thomas lived in a slab hut with his son Ernie, who helped with the work. When Gordon Lyon purchased Panton Park in 1908, Thomas then worked for Lyon at both Panton Park and at ‘Banyule’, Lyon's stud farm at Heidelberg. In 1915 Lyon gave Thomas six acres of land in Reynolds Road with a two-roomed cottage. Thomas died in 1944 and is buried in Eltham Cemetery with his wife and his parents. Another of James Orford's sons was James Matthias Orford. He tried to grow food on land at the end of Laughing Waters Road, but without success. Reputedly the Wurundjeri taught him to swim. He was once imprisoned; when his friend Constable Lawlor invited him to inspect the new bluestone lock-up, Lawlor locked him in and wouldn't release him until he was promised two gallons of beer! ORFORD In Memory Of James 1804 -1869 Sarah Amelia 1807 - 1897 Their son Thomas Henry 1847 - 1944 His wife Helen Amelia 1854 - 1899
eltham cemetery, gravestones, helen amelia orford, james orford, sarah amelia orford, thomas henry orford
In 1872 Senior Constable Myles Lyons replaced Peter Lawlor at Eltham Police Station. Earlier in his career, he had taken part in a search (one of many) for missing explorers Burke and Wills. At Eltham, his arrests ranged from minor instances of theft, vandalism and larrikinism to serious cases of manslaughter, murder and attempted suicide. He even tracked down and arrested two Norwegian seamen charged with desertion from their vessel. While conveying a prisoner from Eltham to Melbourne in 1886, he was attacked by the prisoner en route. It seems that much of the local news in the Evelyn Observer was provided by Eltham Shire Secretary C.S. Wingrove. In 1878, Eltham residents held an “Indignation Meeting” at the Evelyn Hotel, complaining that the reporting had denigrated Lyons’ conduct and had stigmatised the character of Eltham’s inhabitants. They passed a resolution castigating Wingrove and supporting Lyons. Wingrove claimed to have been misconstrued. But in 1887 the Evelyn Observer carried a long ranting vitriolic editorial. It complained about inadequate policing generally, then attacked Lyons personally, saying that (although efficient in the past) he had now become incompetent and needed to be replaced by a younger more energetic man. Myles Lyons retired due to ill health in 1889 but remained in Eltham until his death in 1899. He is buried in Eltham Cemetery with his wife Flora and five of their children. Four sons moved to Western Australia where two were killed in unconnected railway accidents. In Loving Memory of Myles Archibald Beloved Husband of Flora Lyons Who Departed This Life 19th August 1899 Also their beloved Children Archibald Myles Who died 28th June 1865, aged 18 months Edith May Died 9th November, 1884, aged 1 year Hester May Died 17th July, 1887, Aged 14 months Flora Louisa Died 19th August, 1889, aged 14 years Joseph William Died 1st August, 1904, aged 27 years
eltham cemetery, gravestones, archibald myles lyons, edith may lyons, flora louisa lyons, flora lyons, hester may lyons, joseph william lyons, myles archibald lyons
eltham cemetery, gravestones, ada gertrude armstrong, alfred armstrong, arthur reynolds stockwood armstrong, arthur vivian harrison, laura augusta harrison (nee armstrong), margaret armstrong, mary armstrong, george knapman, mary jane knapman (nee williams), alfred george morris, janet morris, william morris
Victorian Collections acknowledges the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first inhabitants of the nation and the traditional custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.