black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A large black / photograph of a group of uniformed band members standing and seated in rows outside a building. All are holding musical instruments. There is a drum in the centre front row.
- H-201mm W-253mm
- music-orbost orbost-municipal-band entertainment recreation
- This photograph of the Orbost Municipal Band was taken outside the Orbost Youth Centre in Nicholson Street, Orbost.
Those in the photograph are: At Rear- Peter Fagg and Alan Miles; Back Row - Jacqueline Solomon' Cryatal Barling, Julie West, Raymond Barling, Maddy Barr' Peter Rowley, Luigi Battel, Michelle Zuccolo, Helen Light; Seated - Phillip Barling, Russell Jensen, Susan Wood, Alf Barling (Band Master), Edward Knight, Charles Soloman; In Front - Mark Barling and Peter Knight
The first Orbost Brass Band was formed in 1889. Around 1908 the town band split and the Orbost Workers' Band was formed. Eventually the two bands merged in 1913 to reform as the Orbost Municipal Band under conductorship of Charles Spink. The band continued for many years but was later disbanded and again reformed. This was to happen a number of times, the last time being in 1961 and continuing through to the late 1970's.
Further info and Ref: In Times Gone By - Deborah Hall
- December 1973
- Snowy River Mail (Maker)
- This is a pictorial record of the Orbost Municipal Band. The various Orbost bands over the years played a major role in community activities providing entertainment and musical experiences for the many members.
- on back - label with list of names
- 7 Jul 2020 at 12:35PM