This photograph was published in the Snowy River Mail on November 27 1974. "Shoppers in Nicholson Street, Orbost, have been treated to band music each Saturday morning when members of Orbost Municipal Band have rendered items in the shopping centre. Members, both senior and junior, are pictured here as they prepare instruments for a recital on a sunny Saturday."
The photograph was taken by Peter Fagg in Nicholson Street on the corner of Wolseley Street on Saturday morning 1.12.1973.
The first Orbost Brass Band was formed in 1889. Around 1908 the town band split and the Orbost Workers' Band was formed. Eventually the two bands merged in 1913 to reform as the Orbost Municipal Band under conductorship of Charles Spink. The band continued for many years but was later disbanded and again reformed. This was to happen a number of times, the last time being in 1961 and continuing through to the late 1970's.
Further info and Ref: In Times Gone By - Deborah Hall
This is a pictorial record of the Orbost Municipal Band. The various Orbost bands over the years played a major role in community activities providing entertainment and musical experiences for the many members.
A black / white photograph of a group,of uniformed band members sitting in a circle at the edge of a main street. Each is holding a musical instrument with music stands in front of them.