From the Snowy River Mail October 4 1978 page 9 - " A MOBILE BAND - Although Orbost Municipal Band participated in Saturday's Primary School workathon, members feet didn't touch the ground. They idi it bthe easywayon the trailer of a truck. The band encouraged walkers with stirring music along the road to Marlo."
The first Orbost Brass Band was formed in 1889. Around 1908 the town band split and the Orbost Workers' Band was formed. Eventually the two bands merged in 1913 to reform as the Orbost Municipal Band under conductorship of Charles Spink. The band continued for many years but was later disbanded and again reformed. This was to happen a number of times, the last time being in 1961 and continuing through to the late 1970's.
Further info and Ref: In Times Gone By - Deborah Hall
This is a pictorial record of the Orbost Municipal Band. The various Orbost bands over the years played a major role in community activities providing entertainment and musical experiences for the many members.
A black / white photograph showing a group of uniformed band members sitting on folding chair s on the tray of a large flat bed truck. They are holding musical instruments. A young boy is sitting on the edge of the tray and three other children are standing on the road nearby.
Inscriptions & markings
on back - information from S.R.M.