This photograph was taken inside St James Hall, Orbost at the 75th anniversary of the Orbost Municipal Band.on November 8, 1975. It was published in the Snowy River Mail on November 12, 1975 under the heading "ANNIVERSARY FOR BAND". "Some 250 people filled St James Hall on the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the band, The evening began with a buffet dinner followed by a recital by the members of the band, The fitting numbers chosen were favourites throughout the different eras during the band's 75 years. A display of old brass instruments, photographs and a history of the band drew much comment. Bandmaster, Alf Barling, conducted the band during the celebratory recital." The first Orbost Brass Band was formed in 1889. Around 1908 the town band split and the Orbost Workers' Band was formed. Eventually the two bands merged in 1913 to reform as the Orbost Municipal Band under conductorship of Charles Spink. The band continued for many years but was later disbanded and again reformed. This was to happen a number of times, the last time being in 1961 and continuing through to the late 1970's. Further info and Ref: In Times Gone By - Deborah Hall
This is a pictorial record of the Orbost Municipal Band. The various Orbost bands over the years played a major role in community activities providing entertainment and musical experiences for the many members.
A black / white photograph of a bandmaster in uniform standing, conducting, in front of a group of musicians.sitting down playing their instruments. The photograph has been taken indoors.