A coloured photograph of a V Line sign set in a flowerbed at Sunbury Railway Station.
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the place now called Victoria, and all First Peoples living and working on this land. We celebrate the history and contemporary creativity of the world’s oldest living culture and pay respect to Elders — past, present and future.
Please be aware that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Some material may contain terms that reflect authors’ views, or those of the period in which the item was written or recorded but may not be considered appropriate today. These views are not necessarily the views of Victorian Collections.
Users of this site should be aware that in many areas of Australia, reproduction of the names and photographs of deceased people is restricted during a period of mourning. The length of this time varies and is determined by the community.
Reuse of any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander material on this site may require cultural clearances. Users are advised to contact the source organisation to discuss appropriate reuse.
Can you reuse this media without permission? No (with exceptions, see below)
All rights reserved
This media item is licensed under "All rights reserved". You cannot share (i.e. copy, distribute, transmit) or rework (i.e. alter, transform, build upon) this item, or use it for commercial purposes without the permission of the copyright owner. However, an exception can be made if your intended use meets the "fair dealing" criteria. Uses that meet this criteria include research or study; criticism or review; parody or satire; reporting news; enabling a person with a disability to access material; or professional advice by a lawyer, patent attorney, or trademark attorney.
Please acknowledge the item’s source, creator and title (where known)
Have a question? Contact Sunbury & District Heritage Association Inc
A coloured photograph of a V Line sign set in a flowerbed at Sunbury Railway Station.
The house was one of Sunbury's older houses and was on the corner of Horne and Neill Streets. Before it was demolished for larger commercial development, the property was a medical centre and later an employment and training office.
A coloured photograph of a weatherboard house with a corrugated iron roof with its street number clearly attached to the front of the house.
horne street, neill street
The photograph features the Administration building of the former Sunbury Asylum and its Ha-ha wall which are located in the Jackson Hill estate.
The former Sunbury Asylum was an important Sunbury institution for many years.
A coloured photograph of an Edwardian style brick building on a hill and a high brick wall with trees in the background and green lawn in the foreground.
sunbury asylum, jackson hill
The cattle yard was the pound used by the former Shire of Bulla. It is located in Cornish Street, Sunbury.
The former pound is one of the few existing constructions seen in Sunbury, which came under the control of the former Shire of Bulla.
A coloured photograph of a fenced cattle yard with a ramp in an open area.
council pound., shire of bulla, sunbury
The water tank stands on Sunbury Railway station and was in use when steam trains were used along Bendigo line. After travelling 37 kms (25 miles) from Melbourne, it was necessary for the trains to replenish their water supply at Sunbury.
The presence of the water tank at Sunbury Station is an indicator that it was one of the major stations along the Bendigo line.
A coloured photograph of a rectangular water tower. The first level is a brick construction and the metal tank is on top of it.
water tanks, railway stations, steam travel
The building was the former Sunbury Fire Station. It was in Evans Street on the site where the shopping square has been built. Mount Holden can be seen in the background. A newer building was built for the CFA on the opposite side of Evans Street and closer to Macedon Street. As the shopping centre expanded and Sunbury grew, the CFA moved from the town centre to a site in Jackson Street and another one in Elizabeth Drive.
Over the years the CFA has played an important role in numerous fire fighting activities over summer months.
A scanned coloured photograph with a fine white border of an old weatherboard building with a metal roof by an unmade roadway. A hill is in the background and two bare trees are growing near the building.
The 'Meeise' French car is parked outside the former Mechanics Institute Hall in Stawell Street, Sunbury. J Eadie was responsible for the building of the hall in 1885 and the foundation stone was laid by Lady Janet Clarke. The former Shire of Bulla conducted their council meetings in the hall from 1923 until 1956 when new offices were built in Macedon Street. Later the RSL took over occupancy of the hall and it became known as the Memorial Hall. In the early 1970s Stawell Street was cut off to traffic and incorporated into the Village Green.
Over the years the Memorial Hall has been the venue for many community events from debutant balls, flower shows, local gatherings, celebrations and markets to name a few.
A sepia photograph with a cream border of a tree lined street with a building in the foreground and a vintage car parked outside the building. Tall pine trees are growing behind the fenceline.
mechanics institute, shire of bulla
The house, known as 'Ardcloney' was built by Dr. Faulkner in 1911. The land on which it is built was The Dell which was previously owned by Mr. Austin. Dr. Faulkner had a medical practice in Sunbury in until his death in 1922 when he was run over by a train while holidaying in Adelaide. Over the years the mansion has had a number of owners and today it functions as a day hospital for Sunbury residents.
A dark sepia photograph with a cream border of a two storey Californian Bungalow style building seat in a large garden.
RESIDENCE DR. FAULKNER - SUNBURY
The building is the Sunbury Post and Telegraph Office and residence, which was built on the corner of Brook and Evans Street in 1892. Prior to that time the postal service ion Sunbury was conducted at the railway station. Over the years changes and extensions have taken place to the building to accommodate it for modern postal delivery practices although it still operates from the same site.
The Sunbury Post Office has operated in a building on the same site since 1892 despite many changes and extensions made to the building, which included the demolition of the residence attached to the original building.
A black and white photograph of Victorian style brick building with a slate roof with 3 chimneys and surrounded by a white picket fence. Two men are standing by a ladder on the LHS of the image.
sunbury, sunbury post office, post and telegraph offices
The following greeting has been written on the back of the card in pencil : To Darkie, with regards from Norman.
A black and white photograph with a narrow cream border in post card format of a jockey and a young boy in school uniform talking to a well-dressed man who is wearing a bowler hat. The group are standing in front of a fence.
The statue is a bust of George Evans who settled in Sunbury along the Jacksons Creek and built a homestead which he named 'Emu Bottom'. The statue was originally erected on the site in 1986 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of European settlement in the area. A time capsule was buried at the base of the statue and was lifted and opened in 2011 when the 175th anniversary was celebrated. After that event a second capsule was buried along with the original one.
A coloured photograph of a statue of the bust of a bearded man set in a brick paved block in a garden. There are two plaques at the base of the statue.
evans, george., anniversaries, sunbury
Joseph Starkie was the Chairman of the Sunbury Waterworks Trust from 1905 to 1913. During that time he was instrumental in getting a permanent water supply installed for the town of Sunbury. After his death in April 1913, the townspeople erected a memorial which stood at the intersection of Brook and Stawell Street. It was unveiled on 26 January 1915 by Terence O'Brien. The original memorial included a drinking fountain and horse trough. As traffic increased within the town, the centre section of the fountain, without the horse trough, was resited in a reserve opposite the Memorial Hall. The photograph shows the monument on its original site.
The installation of a reliable and permanent water supply for Sunbury was an important achievement for the town in the early years of the twentieth century.
A sepia photograph in post card format of a water fountain and trough in a street in front of an avenue of trees.
J. D. STARKIE MEMORIAL
starkie, joseph daniel., water fountain, j.d.starkie memorial
George and Anne Evans settled in Sunbury in 1836 after migrating to Van Diemens Land from Plymouth in 1825. He took upland along the Jacksons Creek and built his Emu Bottom Homestead. He married Anne, who was forty years younger than him on 11 May 1843 and they had six children. He and his wife Anne are buried in Melbourne General Cemetery in Compartment 'H'.George died on 26 August 1876 and Anne died on 12 January 1893.
George Evans was a one of the first Europeans to take up land in the the area that was originally known as Buttlejork ( Batterjork) in the area now known as Sunbury.
A black and white photograph with a cream border of the headstone of George and Anne Evans.
evans, george., evans, anne., emu bottom, headstones
The waterfall is cascading down the Johnson Cliff which is on the Jacksons Creek downstream from Sunbury town.
A sepia photograph with a narrow cream border mounted on cardboard of a waterfall cascading into the river below.
johnsons cliff, jacksons creek, waterfalls
The men are sitting above the waterfall and the Jacksons Creek close to the site of the former mill which utilised the water from the river to power the mill machinery.
A sepia photograph mounted on cardboard of three men sitting on a river bank above a waterfall with a pipeline in the background.
jacksons creek, sunbury
The Jacksons Creek is prone to flooding when rainfall is very heavy. The flood pictured in the photograph occurred either in 1916 or 1917 and reached at a level close to the arches on the Macedon Street bridge.
A sepia photograph backed on cardboard of a two arched bridge with a river in flood.
floods, jacksons creek, macedon street bridge
The waterfall is in Jacksons Creek downstream from the Sunbury township.
A black and white photograph with a cream border of a waterfall in a river. A gnarled tree is growing on the bank and there is a hill in the middle distance.
waterfalls, jacksons creek, sunbury
The old weir constructed in the Jacksons Creek in Sunbury is featured in the photograph.
A black and white photograph with a cream border of a waterfall tumbling over a built up rocky wall across the river.
weirs, jacksons creek
The waterfalls were on the Jacksons Creek downstream from Sunbury township and in the vicinity of a mill which was built on the river bank.
A sepia photograph mounted on a cream board of two waterfalls in a flooded river with bare hills on either side. A man is standing near some stone ruins on the RHS of the image.
waterfalls, jacksons creek
The aerial view of Sunbury was featured in The Argus newspaper in 1936 in recognition of 100 years of European settlement of the area. It shows the extent of the township in 1936 which extended from the railway line in the west to the Jackson Creek in the east and the Sunbury Asylum in the south and northwards towards Macedon Street.
The photograph was taken when Sunbury was a country settlement 25 miles ( 37 kms) from Melbourne. Since the 1980s the area grown rapidly and is now an outer suburb of Melbourne.
A black and white aerial photograph with a cream border of the Sunbury township.
SUNBURY 1936 - A SOUVENIR AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH ISSUED BY THE ARGUS.
The Sunbury War Memorial is sited in a grassed reserve at the intersection of Stawell and Macedon Streets in Sunbury. At its initial installation, the names of Sunbury ex-servicemen who had seen battle in World Wars 1 and 2 were listed on the four plaques. In later years the names of other servicemen who have fought in recent battles have been added to the memorial. On Anzac Day a service takes place at the memorial and is attended by many of the townspeople.
The war memorial in Stawell Street is one of Sunbury's important heritage structures and commands an important position in the town.
A black and white photograph with a cream border of a memorial set in an open area. The memorial has been set on a pedestal of three steps. a lamp supported by a metal tripod with four smaller lamps below the main one is on top of the memorial.
The two men in the curricle were in Brook Street outside Sunbury Railway Station.
Before the advent of motor transport and buses, passengers from the train were taken by horse drawn vehicles to their destinations. An area was set aside at the station where the horses and vehicles waited for trains to arrive.
A sepia photograph of two men seated in a stationary horse -drawn curricle beside a plantation area. There are two signs advertising horses and buggies for hire and some buildings are visible in the distance.
curricles, brook street, sunbury, sunbury railway station
The man on the horse was photographed close to the main entrance of The Avenue which was the main approach to the former Sunbury Asylum. In later years the conifer trees were replaced with oak trees and today The Avenue is still the main road leading into Jacksons Hill, the housing estate that has been built on the former Sunbury Asylum land.
The housing development on the former Sunbury Asylum site began in the 1980s.
A black and white photograph of a man astride a white horse standing on an unmade road with an avenue of tall trees growing on either side of the formed road. A building is just visible in the distance.
the avenue, sunbury as, jacksons hill
The photograph shows a picture of Evans Street Sunbury from the north and looking south when it was one of Sunbury's main residential areas. Since the 1980s the houses in the image have been demolished and replaced with commercial development.
Over the years Evans Street has undergone much change from being a residential strip to being the main commercial hub in Sunbury.
A sepia photograph with a white border across the bottom and in post card format of a streetscape with a row of trees growing along the footpath and a nu,her of weatherboard Victorian style double fronted cottages. Both the roadway and footpath are not surfaced and the gutter is lined with stone pavers.
The people were photographed standing on the Macedon Street bridge which spans the Jacksons Creek at the east end of the town of Sunbury.
A sepia photograph in post card format of five people with a dog standing in front of a picket fence on a road bridge.
macedon street bridge, jacksons creek, sunbury
The people in the horse and cart are driving their vehicle over the original Macedon Road bridge which spans the Jacksons Creek in Sunbury. In the 1970s the road was diverted to take out the downhill bend at the approach to the bridge and a newer bridge was built close to the original one, which now takes pedestrian traffic.
The original Macedon Street bridge is one of five heritage bridges in Sunbury. Two of them are built along Macedon Street and the other three are along the railway line.
A sepia photograph in post card format of two people in a horse and cart going over a bridge with trees on each side of them.
macedon street bridge, jacksons creek, sunbury
The river in flood is the Jacksons Creek. This section of the river with the waterfall is downstream from the town of Sunbury.
A sepia photograph in post card format of a river with waterfalls in flood.
rivers, jacksons creek, sunbury
The photograph shows a section go the Jacksons Creek at Sunbury where it is spanned by the high arched Rupertswood railway bridge north of the town on the Bendigo line.
The Melbourne to Bendigo rail line has a number of significant bridges along its route, five of which can be seen in Sunbury.
A sepia photograph in post card format of a river flowing under a bridge. There is a partial view of the tall pylon on the LHS of the image.
jacksons creek, bridges
See entry for P0824.
The photograph shows the extensions that were built on to the former Shire of Bulla offices in the mid 1980s. The building with the curved wall and glass tiles was where the Shire of Bulla held their council meetings. The Victorian state flag and the Shire of Bulla flags are hoisted on the poles and the bust of George Evans, an early European settler in the district is on the RHS of the image.
The extensions completed in the 1980s to the former Shire of Bulla offices were the last major works to be undertaken on the building before Bulla Shire became part of Hume City Council in 1994.
A coloured photograph of a brick paved path leading to a cream brick community building with two flags hoisted on flagpoles near the entrance . The bust of a man is visible on the RHS of the image.
shire of bulla, council offices, shire of bulla council offices., george evans
The photograph shows the railway station at Sunbury in Surrey in the United Kingdom. The town of Sunbury in Victoria was named after the English township of Sunbury-on-Thames in Middlesex by the Jackson Brothers who took up land in Sunbury, Victoria. The area was originally known as Koora Kooracup by the Wurundjeri people.
Sunbury in Victoria like many other settlements in Australia were given names of towns in the United Kingdom
A coloured photograph of a railway station with three cars parked outside the building, which has grey walls and scarlet and blue trims. There are framed maps and notices on the exterior walls.
Victorian Collections acknowledges the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first inhabitants of the nation and the traditional custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.