Historical information

All eight photographs have been taken at a workmen's camp erected by the State Electricity Commission to house workmen during the construction of the Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme. These were established in close proximity to various work centres - Junction Camp at Bogong Village, three camps at Mt. Beauty, West Kiewa, Clover Dam and Clover Flat, Howman's sawmill and Howman's Gap, Rocky Valley, Langford's Gap, Pretty Valley, Mountain Creek and Big Hill. These photos have not been identified as to which camp they are taken but typical of the type of accommodation for wages personnel. They followed a general design and layout. There was a mess and recreation hall as well as a building for general trading and postal facilities (this conducted by proprietors of trading stores in Mt. Beauty and Bogong). Originally the rooms accommodated 2 men but later there was a demand for single rooms - the floor size then being 10 feet x 8 feet and furnished with a bed, small table and chair and cupboard with hanging space. The first camps were erected in 1940 and the last was removed in 1962.


These photographs are of historical significance as they show the type of accommodation provided for wages personnel working on the Hydro Electric Scheme between 1940 and 1960.

Physical description

Eight small black and white photographs of unknown person and workmen's camp.

Inscriptions & markings

All photos have been stamped on the back - Two "965U" in red, four "S80 " in green (indistinct) and two "141" in red.