The 'Meeise' French car is parked outside the former Mechanics Institute Hall in Stawell Street, Sunbury. J Eadie was responsible for the building of the hall in 1885 and the foundation stone was laid by Lady Janet Clarke. The former Shire of Bulla conducted their council meetings in the hall from 1923 until 1956 when new offices were built in Macedon Street. Later the RSL took over occupancy of the hall and it became known as the Memorial Hall. In the early 1970s Stawell Street was cut off to traffic and incorporated into the Village Green.
Over the years the Memorial Hall has been the venue for many community events from debutant balls, flower shows, local gatherings, celebrations and markets to name a few.
A sepia photograph with a cream border of a tree lined street with a building in the foreground and a vintage car parked outside the building. Tall pine trees are growing behind the fenceline.