Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Silver plate tankard

From the Collection of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection Building 129 Carlisle Drive North Bandiana Vic

Description
Silver plate tankard engraved on side with donor's name and date.
Object Registration
5095
Keywords
military, 20th light horse, mess, drinking, silverware
Historical information
The 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) was raised in 1920 as part of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, Citizen Military Forces, with Headquarters at Seymour and depots along the Goulburn Valley from Mansfield to Tocumwal in southern NSW. In December 1941, 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 20th Motor Regiment. In 1943 the Regiment was deployed to Merauke, Dutch New Guinea. Upon its return in April 1945, the Regiment was redesignated 20th Pioneer Battalion. It was disbanded following the end of the war. 20th Light Horse was the only light horse regiment to serve overseas in WWII.
Significance
One of a collection of tankards donated by officers of a citizen soldier regiment in rural Victoria. It is in excellent condition.
Inscriptions & Markings
20th Light Horse Regiment / presented by / Lieut G B Daniel / 16-10-1939
Last updated
5 Aug 2020 at 8:11PM