Tools, spanner, Garrington 'Magpie' c1950
From the Collection of City of Moorabbin Historical Society (Operating the Box Cottage Museum) Joyce Park Jasper Road Ormond Victoria
- A large high tensile carbon steel spanner c1950 for use in automobile repair and manufacture.
- L29cm x W 7cm opening 3cm
- tools, garrington tool company england, post world war 11 estates, moorabbin , automobile tools, automotive parts, jaguar cars pty ltd, early settlers, market gardeners, blacksmiths, tools, building equipment, moorabbin shire, bentleigh, mckinnon, highett, cheltenham,mcewan james pty ltd, melbourne, bunnings pty ltd,
- John Garrington & Sons was founded 1837 in London as a company producing iron and steel tools, pistols, coach parts, military harness, nuts and bolts . In 1879 the business moved to Albert Works in Willenhall Road. 1912 the business was sold to F.W.Cotterill, a local nut and bolt manufacturer. F.W.Cotterill and consequently Garrington's was purchased in 1919 by G.K.N. (originally Guest, Keen and Nettlefolds). 1926 they were producing drop forged automobile tools, spanners and in 1947 'lightweight high tensile carbon steel' 'Magpie" automobile spanner. They had a lot of products named after birds.
Early settlers were reliant on the draught horse and wagon but by the 1930's Vulcan trucks transported the produce to market and post war settlers in the Moorabbin Estates gradually purchased cars (automobiles) for transport and pleasure.
- This Garrington Tools Pty Ltd automobile spanner is typical of the type used by automobile mechanics in Moorabbin c1950
- GARRINGTON 'MAGPIE'
- 6 Aug 2020 at 10:08PM