Historical information

The fragments of pot were found in 20 meters of water off of the South Channel Light, Port Phillip Bay. They are believed to be from the ship 'Hurricane' that sank in the vicinity on April 22,1864.
The Hurricane was a three-masted iron ship, weighing 1198/979 tons. Built on the Clyde, Scotland in 1853. Lbd 214.9 x 30.7 x 20 ft. It was one of the first large iron sailing ships built for the Australian trade during the gold rush, and one of the fastest clippers on the Australian run. Her maiden voyage from Glasgow to Melbourne with 256 passengers took eighty-seven days, and the return to London eighty-three days. In 1856 she was converted to an auxiliary screw vessel and continued in the Australian trade until lost. Under Captain D.H. Johnston (former master of the Lightning), inward bound from Liverpool with 2000 tons of general cargo and 19 passengers, grazed a rock entering Port Phillip, sank off Arthurs seat, 21 April 1869. Passengers and crew transferred to the tug Titan.
The wreck was relatively intact until the late 1960s, when it was blasted by Ports and Harbours engineers who considered it to be a navigational hazard, spreading wreckage over a wide area. Despite this, the stern of the ship still stands about three metres above the sand.


The wreck of the "Hurricane" in Port Phillip Bay and the accompanying story of the nearby lighthouse, the South Channel Pile Light, tell the story of early shipping within Port Phillip Bay, pre federation.

Physical description

3 pieces of encrusted pot fragment all roughly A5 paper size