Historical information

The plaque was originally intended for the Murray Road Bridge. The Murray Road Bridge is of state historical and architectural significance. With the Newlands Street Bridge it is one of a pair of bluestone bridges constructed by prison labour in Coburg and is situated within the immediate vicinity of the Pentridge Prison. The bridge has one of five largest spans of stone bridges built in Australia, of which at least three survive. (VHR)

Physical description

Bluestone

Inscriptions & markings

Erected by the Penal Department A.D. 1871 George Oliphant Duncan Inspector General