From the Collection of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection Building 129 Carlisle Drive North Bandiana Vic
- Black and white photograph of mounted light horseman with second light horseman standing behind horse. Second horse to side.
- military, militia, cmf, gippsland, leongatha, allison
- The 13th Light Horse Regiment (AIF) was raised at Broadmeadows Victoria in March 1915. Following service at Gallipoli the regiment was broken up with squadrons going to France as Divisional Cavalry Squadrons of 2nd, 4th and 5th Divisions. The regiment was reformed as firstly 1st Anzac Corps Mounted Troops and later Australian Corps Mounted Troops.
The regiment was raised as 13th Light Horse (Gippsland), a Citizen Forces unit following WWI, and trained as a cavalry regiment till August 1940, when it converted from horse to mechanised initially as 13th Motor Regiment then 13th Armoured Regiment. It trained in Victoria and, as the Japanese threat to the mainland declined, was disbanded in October 1943 with men going to other units.
- Good study of pre-WWII light horseman in regional Victoria.
- Pte Valentine Reginald Allison / 13th Gippsland Light Horse / Leongatha Showgrounds / c.1938 / (Grandfather of Cpl S Mather / Tng Sgt, 2001)
- 9 Sep 2020 at 4:44PM