Photograph, Court House and Cells Pleasant Creek Stawell 1866

Historical information

Court House and Cells Pleasant Creek Stawell. Part of a collection of Photographs by Mr. O.G. Armstrong as commissioned by the Shire of Stawell for the Inter-colonial and Paris Exhibition in Melbourne in 1866.
The first courthouse was built at Pleasant Creek Stawell by William Scobie for the sum of £1975 in September 1858.
A further sum of £1832 was spent on the building by J. Francis in January 1860.
Pleasant Creek Court House was used as a court of Petty sessions, County Court, Court of Mines, and a Court of General Sessions before the newer Stawell Court House in Patrick Street was built.
Later it was used as a police barracks then private home.

Back to top