Photograph, Grampians Entrance to Halls Gap 1866

Historical information

Grampians Entrance to Halls Gap. Part of a collection of Photographs by Mr. O.G. Armstrong as commissioned by the Shire of Stawell for the Inter-colonial and Paris Exhibition in Melbourne in 1866.
Halls Gap is named after Charles Browning Hall. In his letter to Joseph Latrobe he gives no clue about his early life except that he was a stock herder as early as 1837. He held two runs in the Wimmer district, that of La Rose and Mokebila in the Grampians (1841 to 1842). He then moved to the Clunes area in 1851. He was a member of the Carisbrook Magistrates Bench.

Subjects

Back to top