Historical information
Concongella Home Station. Part of a collection of Photographs by Mr. O.G. Armstrong as commissioned by the Shire of Stawell for the Inter-colonial and Paris Exhibition in Melbourne in 1866.
The Concongella Station consisted of 57,000 acres along the Concongella Creek. It was first part of Allanvale, taken up by John Allan in 1841.
Allen's right to the 137,000 acres of Allanvale was contested and as a result, the northern section of 57,000 acres was renamed Concongella.
Concongella Run, with the homestead on the creek of the same name just east of Stawell, occupied the lands between the later named Deep Lead and Great Western. It was on this station that William McLaughlin a sheep minder discovered gold at Pleasant Creek in 1853. Doctor Blundell held Concongella under licence at this time and through until 1858. The homestead has been gone for many years and only some lonely graves remain at this vicinity.