Photograph, Main Street Stawell looking West c1907. Kay's Star Hotel on Right

Historical information

Main Street Looking West. Kays Star Hotel c1907
The Star Hotel had a chequered life. Like a number of other hotels it started life on Commercial Street Pleasant Creek, the first License being held by Mr. William Francis in 1858. It was shifted to Main Street Quartz Reefs in 1860 and had many tenants over a long period. For many years it stood in the centre of the roadway in Main Street and had to be moved to give more room for traffic. It is one of the reasons we have a bend in the Main Street.
As a Hotel it had 54 years without a conviction against it. Although it had many licensees it was owned by one family for the last 27 years of its life as a Hotel.
It was delicensed in 1916 because it was too close to the Albion which was a better building. Currently (2025) occupied by the Stawell Club and is licensed.
The walkway beside it to the carpark is names Star Lane.

Physical description

Main Street Stawell looking West c1907. Bull & Mouth Hotel with verandahs on Left, Kay's Star Hotel on Right.
Group of men talking in roadway at right. Telegraph pole prominent near centre of photo.

Inscriptions & markings

Main St. Stawell Looking West.

Subjects

Back to top