Historical information

A gold-plated medal issued by the City of Moorabbin to commemorate the quincentenary of Victoria in 1984-5. It features the City Shield incorporating vegetables, a rooster, a cow and a house, and the sesquicentenary logo.

Significance

The township of Moorabbin, known as South Brighton until 1909, remained small, with the Plough and Harrow Hotel as its main building. In 1917 Sandringham borough was formed by severance from Moorabbin shire and in 1920 Mentone and Mordialloc were also severed. In the remaining Moorabbin shire the Moorabbin township was still small (1,770 persons), but the shire grew in population during the 1930s. On 10 October 1934 it was proclaimed a city. It existed as a separate municipality until 1995. When local government boundaries were changed in 1994 about half of Moorabbin city was united with Glen Eira city and about half with Kingston city. On 15 December, 1994 the City of Chelsea, parts of the Cities of Mordialloc, Moorabbin, Springvale and Oakleigh were amalgamated to create the City of Kingston by Order of the Governor in Council. On the same day Glen Eira City Council was formed from the City of Caulfield and the remaining part of the City of Moorabbin.

Physical description

Gold Plated Medal Side one: Within a wide rim formed by a line circle, the City Shield incorporating vegetables, a rooster, a cow and a house; around, THE MAYOR COUNCILLORS & CITIZENS OF THE CITY OF MOORABBIN; around on broad rim, 50 YEARS A CITY 1934 - 1984. Side 2: Logo of the Victorian sesquicentenary; below, VICTORIA 150 / GROWING TOGETHER 1984-5 at rim in small letters the mint name, BRIM MELB

Inscriptions & markings

THE MAYOR COUNCILLORS & CITIZENS OF THE CITY OF MOORABBIN; VICTORIA 150 / GROWING TOGETHER 1984-5.