The Hamilton-Smith collection was donated by the children of Grace Mary Hamilton-Smith nee Ellwood (1911-2004) and John Hamilton-Smith (1909-1984) who settled in Wodonga in the 1940s. The Ellwood family had lived in north-east Victoria since the late 1800s. Grace’s mother, Rosina Ellwood nee Smale, was the first teacher at Baranduda in 1888, and a foundation member of the C.W.A. Rosina and her husband Mark retired to Wodonga in 1934.
Grace and John married at St. David’s Church, Albury in 1941. John was a grazier, and actively involved in Agricultural Societies.
The collection contains significant items which reflect the local history of Wodonga, including handmade needlework, books, photographs, a wedding dress, maps, and material relating to the world wars.
This badge was awarded to Grace Hamilton-Smith for being the best left handed player of the Wodonga Golf Club in 1965.
This item has well documented provenance and a known owner. It forms part of a significant and representative historical collection which reflects the local history of Wodonga. It contributes to our understanding of social and sporting life in mid-twentieth century Wodonga, as well as providing interpretative capacity for themes including local history and social history.
A metal, gold plated badge with green detailing and a depiction of two crossed golf clubs.
Inscriptions & markings
On face of badge: "WODONGA/G.C/ASSOCIATES'.