The Hamilton-Smith collection was donated by the children of Grace Mary Hamilton-Smith nee Ellwood (1911-2004) and John Hamilton-Smith (1909-1984) who settled in Wodonga in the 1940s. The Ellwood family had lived in north-east Victoria since the late 1800s. Grace’s mother, Rosina Ellwood nee Smale, was the first teacher at Baranduda in 1888, and a foundation member of the C.W.A. Rosina and her husband Mark retired to Wodonga in 1934.
Grace and John married at St. David’s Church, Albury in 1941. John was a grazier, and actively involved in Agricultural Societies.
The collection contains significant items which reflect the local history of Wodonga, including handmade needlework, books, photographs, a wedding dress, maps, and material relating to the world wars.
This item has well documented provenance and a known owner. It forms part of a significant and representative historical collection which reflects the local history of Wodonga. It contributes to our understanding of social and family life in early twentieth century Wodonga, as well as providing interpretative capacity for themes including local history and social history.
A beige printed booklet featuring lists of prizes for Wodonga Agricultural Show.
Inscriptions & markings
On face of booklet handwritten in pen: "Donated by: Merrilyn Hamilton-Smith"
- Wodonga Historical Society Archives