Historical information

A wide range of souvenirs have been produced to commemorate Wodonga and its landmarks over time. These items document key changes in Wodonga and its heritage.

The arch is named in honour of Cr Charles Pollard, a foundation member of the Wodonga Show Society and former Wodonga Shire councillor and president. The arch is 29 metres wide and 15 metres high and consists of two boomerangs coming together to form an archway. Originally spanning across a single carriageway of the Lincoln Causeway, the arch was opened by Princess Alexandra of Kent in 1959 and was built for £1230. When the Country Roads Board said the causeway would have to be duplicated in 1973, a new home was required for the arch.

At the request of the Wodonga Show Society, the arch was moved to the entrance of the showgrounds in 1982. After development of the precinct in 2015, the Pollard Arch was erected on Hamilton Smith Drive Wodonga.


Small china pieces carrying scenic views of holiday destinations were a popular kind of souvenir during much of the 20th century. These items have local and social significance as they reflect the landmarks or local features valued by the community over time.

Physical description

Fine china round plate, white with image of the Pollard Archway in Wodonga, Victoria in the bottom third of the plate. Inscription below the image.

Inscriptions & markings

On bottom of image "Pollard Archway, Wodonga, Vic". Manufacturer's mark on back "St Kilda/ Fine China/ Australia / Hand Painted"