At Federation, the Victorian Mounted Rifles companies in the Gippsland area of Victoria were reorganised into the 10th Light Horse Regiment. In 1912 the regiment was renumbered 13th Light Horse. The 13th Light Horse Regiment (AIF) was raised at Broadmeadows Victoria in March 1915. Following service at Gallipoli the regiment was broken up with squadrons going to France as Divisional Cavalry Squadrons of 2nd, 4th and 5th Divisions. The regiment was reformed as firstly 1st Anzac Corps Mounted Troops and later Australian Corps Mounted Troops. The regiment was re-raised as 13th Light Horse (Gippsland), a Citizen Forces unit. following WWI, and trained as a cavalry regiment till August 1940, when it converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 13th Motor Regiment then 13th Armoured Regiment. It trained in Victoria and, as the Japanese threat to the mainland declined, was disbanded in October 1943 with men going to other units. In 1948, the 13th Light Horse was linked with 8th and 20th Regiments to form the 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles in the Citizen Military Forces.
Black and white photograph of 13th Light Horse Regiment trophies arranged around the Hutton Trophy shield.