The Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW) was established by an act of the Victorian Parliament in 1890 to prepare for and to implement a sewerage and water reticulation system across what was then inner Melbourne, its surrounding and middle distance suburbs, including Kew. The MMBW was disbanded in 1991.
The map collection of the Kew Historical Society has at its core the historic maps assembled and originally stored in the City Engineer's Department of the City of Kew. These include maps in a number of scales. The vast majority of maps were produced by the MMBW in the first two decades of the twentieth century, and are solid working maps, backed by linen for durability. These maps are historically significant to Kew, the City of Boroondara and to the history of the development of state utilities in Victoria. A number of the Kew maps have additional details added by former municipal officers, including the levels reached by various floods. As these were working documents, information was added to them long after the period of their initial production and distribution.
Map of the City of Kew showing part of the River Yarra Beautification Schemes. The map shows development to date and the flood levels reached in 1923 and 1924. This map may have been adapted from an earlier map, as most development in central Kew and Studley Park had occurred by this date yet numerous streets are not represented. Public buildings and institutions are clearly represented and named on the map as are significant public transport infrastructure (eg the Outer Circle railway).
Inscriptions & markings
MELBOURNE AND METROPOLITAN BOARD OF WORKS / RIVER YARRA BEAUTIFICATION SCHEMES / SCHEME / SCALE 10 CHAINS TO AN INCH