The pump was restored by Alan Mitchell who was an employee of Zerbe Engineering, Ashburn Place, Blackburn. The work was carried out by Alan in their workshop.
The pump was patented by Joseph W. Douglas, Middletown Conn. and the patent was assigned to W & B Douglas.
A reconstructed well of red bricks. Circular, dome shaped, it has a grill on the flat top of the dome on which the force pump is situated next to the grill. It circulates the water which is held in a tank beneath the brick structure. The force pump is hand operated with a replacement handle made c1965 by Alan Mitchell who restored and donated the pump. The well is located outside the kitchen door of Schwerkolt Cottage.
Inscriptions & markings
Patented 1842 M--D Conn.
- Reference Scientific American, New York, Jan 1 1870. Vol xxii, no.1