Historical information

The school was started in 1861 by the Anglican Church and was known as Harkaway. At that time the area was heavily timbered and supported market gardens, orchards and timber cutters. The school became Burwood East in 1902.

Physical description

This photograph shows the wooden building that was the Burwood State School up until it was moved to the present location on the corner of Highbury and Blackburn Roads.