Shows two bridge crossings over the Diamond Creek in Diamond Street, Eltham. The upper pedestrian crossing provided continual access for foot traffic during times of flood. The railway came to Eltham in 1901, the Eltham Railway Station is visible in the distance as well as a wooden bodied Tait (Red Rattler) First Class train carriage. The Tait train was first introduced in 1910 as a steam locomotive hauled carriage and in 1919 electric motor carriages were introduced however the line to Heidelberg was not electrified till 1921 and to Eltham in April 1923. The Railway General Store on Main Road is visible beyond the station and was built by Luther Haley in 1902. It was the first shop in the present day shopping centre. It was later known as lloyd's stopre (1917-1920) followed by a succession of six other owners until purchased by Eric Staff in 1939.
This glass plate negative was used to manufacture postcards (1:1 printing) for commercial sale by the Rose Sterograph Company and its subsidiaries.
George Rose founded the Rose Stereograph Company in 1880 and was joined by Herbert (Bert) Cutts in the early 20th Century. The pair formed a lifetime working partnership and strong personal friendship. Assisted by George’s two sons, Herbert George and Walter, and later by Neil Cutts, the Rose Stereograph Company continued its operations for more than 140 years.
The company was initially built on stereographs, but as cinema took over and stereographs fell out of fashion, the Rose Stereograph Company developed Australia’s first commercially viable photographic postcard business. Specialising in postcards of iconic historical moments and significant landmarks, The Rose Stereograph Company became a staple of the Australian travel industry.
This remarkable collection of glass plate negatives, transparencies, and postcards – arguably Australia’s most significant photography collection outside of public hands – has been passed down through the generations, surviving war, relocation, and the harsh Victorian climate. The historic Rose Stereograph collection is the culmination of George Rose’s dream of capturing and preserving precious moments in time and remains the legacy of the Rose and Cutts families.
It is with great sadness that the Cutts family says goodbye to a collection that spans five generations and 140 years. The Cutts family understands that for these historically important pieces to rest with one family is to deny others the pleasure of their custodianship.
Glass Plate Negative Size: 9 x 13.9 cm
Inscriptions & markings
Diamond Creek, Eltham, Vic., The Rose Series P. 4314, Copyright