Historical information

The telegraphs were originally a separate department in NSW and became part of the post office in 1893. After federation the use of telegrams increased until it peaked in the 1940s. The last telegram was transmitted in Australia in 1983. Social telegrams were encouraged and special pictorial forms and envelopes were designed. A special form and envelope in purple was used when conveying condolence details during World War 2.

Physical description

Brown paper emvelope with window to show address

Inscriptions & markings

TELEGRAM