Seymour was selected as the site for a military training camp by General Kitchener during his 1909 visit to Australia to advise the government of defence needs. Space for light horse training and areas for artillery training were factors in the choice of location.
Soldiers thought to be Beechworth Troop, 8th Light Horse (VMR). 8th Light Horse (VMR) was raised following Federation from companies of the colonial Victorian Mounted Rifles throughout North-east Victoria. 8th regiment was renumbered 16th Light Horse (Indi) in 1912 and reverted to 8th Light Horse (Indi) in 1920.
Black and white photograph of thirteen members of a light horse troop at Kitchener Camp Seymour 1910 posed for photograph. Photograph is professionally mounted on card.
Inscriptions & markings
In manuscript: "Kitchener Camp Seymour 1910"; faint ink stamp: " James Colquhoun / Photographer / Donald Street / Prahran"